• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gatorracer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a post earlier today about how thick do I need to have glass or acrylic to make a sump and one of my other vendors said I should make it out of stainless steal. I can weld water tight so I know I can build it but I am not sure if there are any drawbacks to it.

I will be using sand blasted stainless steel, and stainless steel wire for the welding. But I am not sure if the metal will leech something into the water? I know most ball bearings used in the hobby are stainless.

Please give me some advice because this on has me stumped.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your vendor has experience in making a steel container for saltwater application?

Make sure the SS is marine grade, and not those that still rust in saltwater after a few months. Same for the welding wire (SS318, I think). As long as he use the right type of stainless steel, it should be fine.

However, consider the type of application, IMO, stainless steel is overkill. It is also more difficult to work with (cf. acrylic).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its grade 316 and it still may end up corroding depending on the quality

I work with it in salt water all the time

I would nix the idea and go with acrylic, its so much easier

Or a plywood box with fiberglass cloth and resin

anything but large amounts of metal

of course in my own opinion

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: