• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build myself a small series of LEDs into an array for the purposes of a viewing light and a moonlight. I'm in need of any help anyone can give regarding sourcing, parts, and general construction of such a fixture. Nothing fancy, although I don't care much for ghetto construction (PVC and duct tape aren't really my thing!).

Sources?

Power supply issues?

Construction tips?

Sealing tips?

Thanks all!

Wade

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up wade!

Sources?

www.allelectronics.com
www.hosfelt.com
www.mouser.com
www.digikey.com
www.google.com

Power supply issues?

Not much. cheapo 3v one from wallmart or radioshack. Or check the box of power adapters you have sitting around. Any DC transformers will work. (try to get as close as you can that's more than the required voltage of the LED)

You'll most likely need a resistor

Supply voltage-LED voltage / current of LED (usually around 20ma)

4.5v(PS)-3v(LED)/.020 = 7.5 ohm resistor. But the closest you'll find is 10ohm, so go with it. 1/4 watt is easy to find at radioshack

Construction tips?

Remember that they are diodes, and if you hook them up wrong, nothing will happen! The long lead is the + side

If you're not careful, you can burn out the LED while soldering. So if you're not great at soldering, use a heat sync between where you're soldering and the head of the LED

I built my single LED moonlight bracket out of a piece of copper wire. I bent the wire around the LED, then about 2" back, made a loop for a screw hole.

Coated the whole thing in 5 min epoxy and it's good to go.

You could also drill them into your exisiting light fixture, and get some LED clamps (I have a bunch I would send you if you want them)

Sealing tips? Epoxy, or liquid electrical tape. But the epoxy is clear if you goop up the lens a bit.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sources? (for parts? try besthongkong.com since they're all made in china anyways why not get them from the source for cheap!)

Power supply issues? (Just make sure you have a DC inverter, see how many multiples of 3.3Volts you can divided into it, and build a bunch of series connections of that many leds, and make parallel connections of those series connections, if you want a diagram pipe up I'll draw a quicky)

Construction tips? (Quick soldering action is all I can say. That or hold down the LED legs with a pair of metal plyers to direct away some of the heat)

Sealing tips? (use the same stuff you use to seal anywires)

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, this is a project I've had in the back of my mind for a while.... I've seen plant grow lights (LEDs) designed for the purpose, but they are 3/4 red and the rest blue... I basically want a couple red and the rest blue and a smaller number.

I think I can swing the basic wiring, just wanted to know about risks (ie- don't overheat things!).

Thanks again!

Wade

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thing that'll overheat is your transformer and you can keep that far away, leds don't produce appreciable (if any noticable) heat, any heat that may come will be directly from the photon bombardment :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heheh *chuckle* whoops

yah.. don't want to overheat, just get a pair of vice grips and hold the wiring to the LED leg while you're soldering :)

ChrisV

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive also been thinking about the led reef lighting thing for a while now... Anyone have some pictures of thier diy led lighting? I was looking at these 450nm ones http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledblu2.htm . There shouldnt be much of a change in wavelength over time, right?

Be sure to share any progress wade, and good luck...

Nautilus1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWW.sunled.com will send u free samples of LED lights. They sent me 4 bulbs. I hooked up a cell phone charger with a resistor. I keep it on 24/7 for about 3 weeks now and all is well

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my answers seem to be the same haha. See if you can find what you're lookin for on ebay! I ended up just buying a moonlight for my tank.. after considering building one for a while.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also find bulk LEDs with resistors on ebay fairly cheap

jlneng

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check www.theledlight.com for information and application data for Luxeon star LEDS 1W. I used their LED for moonlight and am really happy with the effects. Coralife and Current use their Luxeon Star LED assemblies.

Attachments

• XDrivers.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 454

fend78

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this site surfing around the web. Pretty good plans and intructions on making your own moonlight. Also found this guy on e-bay that sells them super cheap all setup and ready to go, I ordered my lights today from him 9 lights for 13.00 including power supply all setup. I will post how they look once i get them.

http://www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/

jlneng

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own 1st class Moonlight assembly for my hood with the following items:

(3) Luxeon Royal Blue 1W LED, 455nM, LXHL-MRRD, www.theledlight.com

(3) Fraen Lenses with Hoods, HMB1 LL01-H, www.theledlight.com

(1) 120vAC power supply,350ma Constant Current, Advance Transformer Xitanium #LED-120A-0350C-33F, www.theledlight.com

(1) TYCO/AMP 1365323-1 Connector, www.theledlight.com

(3) pieces aluminum, 2" x 2" which you will need to drill 4 holes in for the Fraen hood mounting, and any other holes to mount the miniature fixture.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: