• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

johnfluevogs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have people used to paint the back of the their tanks. I am looking to paint it black. Will a can of Matt Black Spray paint work? I know that the LFS will paint it for 30 bucks but I know it can be done for cheaper if I just do it myself.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a pint of blue paint at HD to paint mine. I rolled 4 - 5 coats on it. It held up fine for almost years. I believe the paint I chose was Ralph Lauren.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did blue spray paint. Put 6 or 10 really thin coats on. I turned the tank toward the sunlight so I could see the thin spots.

Make sure you clean the tank really well before you start to paint.

B

johnfluevogs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking that spraying the back is the way to go. What types of spray paint would you reccomend? Does it matter?

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if gloss or flat even makes much difference if it's right on the glass.. Flat paints look glossy anyways.
Just use any spray paint - I've used epoxy enamels, BBQ paints and all the rest and they all hold up about the same provided you let it dry for a few days before letting any HOB equipment contact it.

FOr my money, though, nothing beats a tank with a black painted background which is KEPT CLEAN. Scrape the corraline and other crap off it and it looks amazing.

I generally do 2 or 3 coats.. The first one I spray aggressively enough that it looks pretty much totally covered and the last 1 or 2 are just to touch up thin spots.

JamisonRD

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of doing the same to my 20g tank here before I set everything up long-term. I enquired about this at my LFS and was suggested that I use a spray-paint designed to be subjected to the elements (i.e. for use outside). Their reasoning was that with all the HOB hardware and possible splashing that may or may not be there combined with the higher intensity lights continually shining down, it would not lose it's particular color or density much at all as time progresses.

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I suppose it makes sense.

NMreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just painted mine using Rustoleum Flat Black Enamel from HD. I rolled it on 2 coats. Looks absolutely amazing. I also cleaned the glass using viniger/water first. It was recommended here on Reefs.

Phillip

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: