• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I've seen calculators out there that give thickness of acrylic (or glass) for DIY tanks but they've all assumed retangular tanks. I'm curious if you do a bowfront/half cylinder type tank what sort of level of thickness would be required since I know too thin acrylic will bow, which to me seems ok for a bowfront tank :) but is there an issue of breakage? (well obviously there is.. but is it as high as with glass) . And if the thickness is required would it be possible to sandwich two thinner pieces together to get the approriate thickness without any noticable clarity, since thinner pieces would be much easier to bend than say a quarter inch thick piece of acrylic.

That being said what would be the dominate term for required thickness? over all gallons? height of tank? or depth/width of tank?

A

Anonymous

Good question. You need the advise of James who is quite the expert in these type questions.

He checks the board every few days, so hang tight.

Louey

A

Anonymous

thickness for shaped acrylic should be the same. The factors here is hydrostatic pressure (water/tank height) and span of the piece.

laminate the acrylic can be done, but I never see it done *after* it is bent. It is possible, but it will be very difficult if the piece is not flat. It is never done in reverse order like you suggested since most professional acrylic craftmen has walk-in oven large enogh to hold car if they work with very thick acrylic.

A

Anonymous

Yah figured it wouldn't be terribly easy :) Was thinking of something I could do for the nano tank build contest, although I'm leaning towards another direction because a half-cylinder tank isn't exactly that special.

A

Anonymous

a nano cylindrical tank will give you a cross eye if you look at it too long :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: