• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I recently changed to ho/vho ballasts and t5.5 bulbs with unexpected results. After my x10 turned the lights off they would turn on about 30 seconds later.

The problem was the modules have a manual operation mode where turning the appliance off then on manually results in the module clicking on thus allowing for manual control of the appliance. The new ballasts had some characteristics that varied the load enough to cause the module to detecte a false manual operation and turned the lights back on.

The solution was to simply put a one to three plug expander on the module and run a night light in parallel with the tank light. The module then detected a more constant load and did not return on.

A

Anonymous

Thanx for the hint, but I don't know if it works all the time.

The issue with X10 is one of the reasons that I use hardwired dry contact for automation.

Ricordia

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us more detail on the hardwired automation you use? I would LOVE to get rid of the X10 modules running my main tank, and X10 doesn't work at all in my bedroom for some reason so my nano is using mechanical timers (yuck).

Ricordia

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem with X10's I found a year or so ago was that some electronic ballasts apparently throw noise back on the line and disrupt reception on the RF receiver module(s).. (I had much of my setup controlled by my PC..)

It'd be nice if someone could develop a system thats a little hardier than the current line.. - For the time it looks far too susceptible to interference for me to consider again for a while.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main advantage of X10 is that you can have a device on the other part of the house, and you can control it anywhere in the house. However, consider most reef setup is centralized near the tank, it is can be a lot of headach to solve the X10 issues if you don't need the adventage mention above.

With that said, the hardwired automation is typically consist of dry contact relays instead of X10 module. The control will be low-voltage (12/24 v) controllers. There are a few variations, for example, some are based on water-irrigation type of controller, while some fancy one consist of controller used in home security system with LCD interface. Some are integrated setup with both the controller and relays in the same box. I suggest you to check website/catalog about home automation and decide what is the best solution for you.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take them off you if you are serious about giving them away. I can always make use of anything.... I think I still have room for a box in my garage... :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: