• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

RWillieK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I finally took the plunge and built my own moon lights.

All parts came from Radio Shack:

3"x2"x1" Project encolsure
1 Volume control (variable resistor)
3 430nm 6 volt LEDs
1 package of control knobs.

Total: $14.50

I dug around my electronics parts bin (a 25 gallon bin!) and found a power supply that put out 4.5 volts (LEDs have a 6V max).

I took a small peice of ABS 1"x2" that fit on the inside mounting legs, and drill 6 1/16" holes. I measured, and drew a line that was centered down the width of the plastic, and then divided it in thirds the other way to help me line up the LEDs.

With the LED legs through the holes, I put a small dab of hot glue on the back side of the ABS to hold them in place. I left about 1/8" or so of the legs on the outside of the ABS.....this allows for aiming the LEDs!!!

Then came the wiring. Since I am a car stereo installer, the wiring was the easiest part :)

I wired all of the LEDs in parralell fashion to share the voltage and get an even amount of power to each.

I drilled a small hole in the project box side, and ran the wires out that, and added some crimp on connectors to made a quick disconnect.

The I wired the switch inline with the power supply. This allows me to turn the LEDs up and down, and even off in intensity. I am not a big fan of the volume control I got, but it works.

I was a little annoyed at the spotlight effect, so I got out a small square of acrylic, and trimmed it to fit inside the project box as a lid. I sanded the acrylic very lightly with a drywall sponge in all different directions. I did this a little at a time, just to get rid of the spot light effect, and create just enough diffusion.

The first peice I tried this on, I sanded until the surface was white......it diffused it so well, it blocked 80% of the light....so I had to start on a different peice.

Lastly I made a small acrylic mount to hold the LEDs, and played around with placement. I'm still not sure about where it is....I think I'm going to move it to a little safer place.

I will post some pictures tomorrow afternoon.

I wanted a very slight moonlight effect, not a really big light setup since there is a security light just outside the house which lights the room already.

Robbie

RWillieK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up getting a new PC hood, so I scraped those LEDS, and wired them into the PC hood.....the hood came prewired, I just had to move the LEDS and add some resistors.

Three over a 40 gal long tank lights up the tanks pretty well.

Robbie

_Eric_

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I work at radioshack.

I built mine about 2 years ago..
CIMG0727.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: