• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

seranko

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I just finish my DIY skimmer and I have some questions, I am new in this hobby, so please give me a hand.

I follow the instructions from this website :

http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/DIYskimmer.php

The only thing I changed was the injection system, I am using a beckett one...

I do not have a reef tank set-up yet, so the tests I did with my skimmer were using fresh water and the water temperature at that time was around 20 F...

The problem I'm having is the big bubbles, as you can see in the pictures below...

I tested using 3 different types of pumps, a MAG5, a RIO2100 and a MAG 9.5... The MAG5 and RIO2100 seems to be working similar, the MAG9.5 it too powerful...

The different tweaks I did using all the pumps were :

- Increase and decrease the air input...
- Increase and decrease the output of the pump (going to the skimmer)
- Increase the size of the PVC in between the beckett and the skimmer's body
- Install a bio-ball in the beckett's output to try to decrease the bubbles size.

Non of those alternatives gave me small bubbles.. What is wrong ??? Can be the design ??? Can be the fresh water ???

Please help me...

Thanks

CopiadeIMG_0362.jpg

CopiadeIMG_0365.jpg

CopiadeIMG_0364.jpg

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big bubbles are due to the fact that you're using freshwater. Get the salinity up to normal reef tank levels and watch what happens... :wink:

Nice job BTW. :D

skipm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like ChrisRD already stated, the bubble will be smaller in saltwater due to saltwater having a different density than freshwater.
You did a professional looking job, keep up the good work. Skip

polcat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the skimmer coming? Like above, you need saltwater. Beckets require a pressure rated pump for maximum efficiency. Something like a mak4 with 10psi. While a mag or rio may drive it, you will find a pressure rated pump makes it rock :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: