• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, but will give you some details first. Sorry for the length of the post.

I'm in the process of putting a sump under the stand of my established 30 cube. For those who aren't familiar with the cube and it's stand...the stand sucks big time as far as space is concerned, so I'm limited in choices size wise. Because of that, I found that a 10 hex is about the only thing that will fit under the stand.

sump005.jpg

The left side is going to be a mini fuge area, the right side has two baffles to hopefully reduce the microbubbles. A foam pad will go in one of the baffles too. The middle chamber is the return pump. Quiet One 4000.

The plan is this...Lifereef overflow (thanks Louey! ;)) flex PVC to a T (or Y) which will split the overflwo to the two areas of the sump. Gate valve on the fuge side to reduce the flow to that side. The Quiet One 4000 will be my return. This will go up to a SCWD then out to two returns into the tank.

My question is this - where should I put a gate valve on the return line between the pump and SCWD? I want to be able to take the pump out for cleaning as well as take the SCWD off for cleaning. I would think I wouldn't want to restrict the flow if needed too close to the pump. Rough on the motor? Gate valves will be on the two return lines also.

Any input would be great.

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I did: I split off the return between the pump and the SCWD, and added a valve to divert flow back into the sump. I've actually got two - one to feed the refuge, and one to act as "overflow", but I only use the refuge valve so far.

running_sump.jpg

20050422_plumbing_detail.jpg

No backpressure on the pump! (Ignore the bubble issue - my baffles are too close to fully eliminate the microbubbles. Lesson learned; this was my first sump.)

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you can't really make it out in the photos I posted, but there is a ball valve between the sump and the return pump, as well as one between the pump and the return manifold. You may not have enough room for this - I really don't but I did it anyway.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will have to use some kind of valve(s) to turn things off for removal and cleaning. Especially the pump which should always be fed water. But you may be able to design other areas so they are dry with the power off. For instance, I remove my overflow line with no problems. But the return line with the pump always has some water in the pump area.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: