• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I need to cut some glass to make a baffle. What common item can I score it with? Something like a nail, file, punch, etc.

Chemical_Whore

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to sounds like a jack ass, but a glass cutter would work, and if I remember right they are not that pricy and cut the strighest line of all the things you mentioned

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very difficult to cut baffle on glass, even if you have glass cutter. I would ask the professional to do it for you, unless you have some scrap you can try your skill on first. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. it's a $2.99 stanely glass cutter from the hardware store, and some oil.

I line up the straight edge, drop a drop or so oil on the wheel of the cutter, and make ONE pass on the glass. I push down hard enough to score the glass, but not hard enough to chip it. It does take a few tries to see what the best pressure is. Make sure you score over the ends of the glass.

Then I flip it over, and snap it on the score line. I cut all the glass pieces for my overflow myself. It was 3/16" glass from one of the tanks I broke trying to cut it with a dremel.

You can lay the piece scored side up over the end of a table and snap it that way as well.

Just wear safety glasses!

B

Attachments

• glasscutting.jpg
    glasscutting.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 695
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical_Whore":3t5tutn1 said:
not to sounds like a jack ass, but a glass cutter would work, and if I remember right they are not that pricy and cut the strighest line of all the things you mentioned

No problem. I was just trying to do it with out makeing yet another trip to Lowes. Also I have no idea what they cost.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Box Etc":23uqly8w said:
It is very difficult to cut baffle on glass, even if you have glass cutter. I would ask the professional to do it for you, unless you have some scrap you can try your skill on first. Good luck.

I had a friend cut the glass for the baffles I have now. I just have not been able to get over to his place to make this one. I'm hopping to get over there in the next week or so.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":gyktu9y4 said:
This is what I use. it's a $2.99 stanely glass cutter from the hardware store, and some oil.

I line up the straight edge, drop a drop or so oil on the wheel of the cutter, and make ONE pass on the glass. I push down hard enough to score the glass, but not hard enough to chip it. It does take a few tries to see what the best pressure is. Make sure you score over the ends of the glass.

Then I flip it over, and snap it on the score line. I cut all the glass pieces for my overflow myself. It was 3/16" glass from one of the tanks I broke trying to cut it with a dremel.

You can lay the piece scored side up over the end of a table and snap it that way as well.

Just wear safety glasses!

B

Me and a buddy cut the glass for the baffles I have now. I need to add a freestanding one. If I can get over to his house he has all of the tools I need.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: