• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I had a spare IBM UPS (9910-140) at work that I brought home for a backup in case the power went out. When I got home I realized the back of the UPS only took IEC plugs.

I purchased a right angle IEC power plug and an extra power strip. I would like to cut off the plug of the power strip and fasten the IEC power plug to it. I don't want to burn the house down, though, so I need some help on which wires go where, and anything else I should be careful of. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Cut the plug off the powerstrip.

Strip back insulation on the powerstrip

Seperate three wires.

Black
White
Green

Open plug IF it's got screws, don't lose them.

somewhere in the plug should be a strain relief. Make sure the jacket of the powerstrip cord catches in the strain relief.

Cut 3 wires to lenght, strip wires.

Green goes to green screw
black goes to copper/brass screw
white goes to silver/nickle screw.

Make sure no little wires poke out and touch the other wires.

Make sure screws are tight.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, B...the problem is...all the screws are silver! :?

A

Anonymous

just pick screw them in and see if it works!

JUST KIDDING!

If you have a multi meter, it's easy to check.

I'm pretty sure the center one is ground.

Put your meter on continuity, and touch the center pin of the UPS side and touch the case. It should register as connected.

Now, if you're looking at the plugs on the back of the UPS, My guess is the hot (load) wire is on the left.

Put your meter on 120v AC and go from ground to the left side. It should be around 120v. If it shows 0, then try the other side.

The black wire goes to the 'hot' side of the plug.

So once you find that out, you know which wire goes where.

Or you could just 'wing it' and wire up the plug and plug it into the UPS. Then go buy a $2.99 ac recepticle checker. it will tell you which wires are reversed.

154732_3.jpg

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: