• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

i have aquired some old acrylic sheeting and unfortunately the paper that they put on to protect it has adhered to a point i can't scrape it off.

what could i use to chemically peel this stuff and still have workable aquaria supplies?

A

Anonymous

I know kerosene will take it off. You'd just have to wash the plastic really well afterwards.

Also, the plastic store here in NYC sells backing remover. I did a quick google and didn't find anything. Call your local plastic place and see if they have it.

B

A

Anonymous

OH, that stuff sucks balls!

I hate that stuff, you usually find it impossible to remove on old stuff or stuff that has sat in the sun for a while.

I used kerosene and it still was a pia!

A

Anonymous

I can't remember what it is called but I got some stuff at the auto parts store that would take off bumper stickers and that sutff worked good.I know it came in a silver can and might work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i stopped by TAP plastics on the way home today and the lady behind the counter said i am screwed.

she said i would be best using a citrus cleaner.. whatever that is narrowed down to.. and that i probably would not be successful in removing it without sanding it off.

we'll see about that.

i htought about "goo gone" too but don;t know how it will react on the acrylic.. i will try a little spot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check this week to see if the stuff I saw in the plastic store will work on old sheets.

Goo gone is citrus based. ZEP makes a kick ass orange cleaner that would work too. check HD for it.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Goo Gone helped... was kinda messy but it kept me from going completely mad while scraped away.

i found it best to just soak the whole pane and use a credit card to scrape it off.
i wish i had one of those Kent scrapers for acrylic but they are hard ot find at ten pm.

Chemical_Whore

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a rubber wheel they sell at auto places that will takethat stuff off like a dream and dosent hurt the pastic in any way its like a eraser, and fits on a dremel

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: