• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made an attempt to search for what exactly is used to drill a hole in the bottom of tanks and came up dry. Could anyone point me in the right direction via link or info as to what tools are needed exactly to drill the bottom of an aquarium. I have a regular ole ten gallon sitting around that I think I want to drill.

Kevin

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ways to do it

One is to use a diamond coated hole saw. You need a special drill press that holds the drill bit exactly square with the tank for that one, so its best to have a fish store or glass shop drill it.

The other is with a Dremel (easily googled) and a diamond coated bit.

you place water on the tank to cool it with and cut it slowly. There are a couple of threads on this site describing the process. One guy even cut slots for an overflow in his tank

If the glass is tempered you can not cut it at all, but I think a 10 gallon is just regular glass

good luck and remember its glass so if it breaks, well, its glass :D

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilled_tank.jpg

That's my 10G. Cut two holes for the returns, and slots for the overflow. Broke my first tank. My advice:

1) Use a multi-speed dremel, and the diamond tipped bits. I can't recall the part number, but they come in a pair for about 5 bucks at Walmart, one etching bit and one grinding bit.

2) Go slooooow. I cracked my first tank because I didn't go slow. It's really easy to crack a 10G.

3) Use the etching bit to "drill" a hole in the tank. This will take as long as it takes to grind out the rest of the hole. Take your time, and let the bit do the work. Apply lots of water to cool the bit and glass, and to wash away the dust. This is where you are most likely to break your tank.

4) Use the grinding bit to "saw" the rest of your hole. Keep applying water, but use small up and down movements to walk the bit thru the glass around your mark.

I used masking tape on both sides of the glass where I was cutting to hopefully reduce the chances of a chipout. Plus, it's easier to mark where you want to cut on tape. I put a towel down under the hole I was cutting just incase the glass dropped out - I didn't want to risk it breaking the other side of the tank, but in every case but one the tape held the glass up when it finally cut thru. A dust mask might not be a bad idea. I also wore latex gloves. You will get a lot of glass dust on you.

prepped_try_2.jpg

Good luck!

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys,
Woooo now I'm really gonna have to take my wife out to dinner. She just bought be a brand new dremel.

Kevin

smontanus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw somewhere on the internet that smaller cheap tanks like 10g can be tempered glass and there is no way to tell without a polarized lens. Not positive this is true but I am positive you cannot drill tempered glass, shops drill it then temper it.

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware of the unable to drill tempered glass aquariums rule and I've heard the same thing about off brand aquariums. My concern that I'm researching currently is what brand aquarium, if any, has untempered 20L glass aquariums. My next reef project is planned around a 20L measuring 24x12x12. I think its an AGA. If anyone can shed some light on wether or not 20L's are tempered or not please let me know.

Kevin

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usafresq1":na22gunq said:
I'm aware of the unable to drill tempered glass aquariums rule and I've heard the same thing about off brand aquariums. My concern that I'm researching currently is what brand aquarium, if any, has untempered 20L glass aquariums. My next reef project is planned around a 20L measuring 24x12x12. I think its an AGA. If anyone can shed some light on wether or not 20L's are tempered or not please let me know.

Kevin

Find out the brand you are getting for sure and then call the manufacturer. That's what I did with my Corner bowfront, they were more than helpful.

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks knucklehead and Bingo I'll have to call the manufacturer and ask them. I'm not planning on drilling the bottom of the tank but rather the back of it. According to the link provided I should be alright with an AGA 20L.
Thanks for all the help everyone
Kevin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: