• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ToeCutter

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt asked about this in the last chat, and I gave a pretty short answer.

I won't provide a complete design for the conversion, but I will explain what it would take.

First, you'll want something to support the weight of the media. This is why I left such a large lip where the tube joins the base. You could make an acrylic disc with holes to allow for flow. You would place some kind of sponge over that disc (or eggcrate) to support the media.

The strainer could be kept or replaced with a straight piece of PVC with a Tee fitting on top. You might want to lengthen the PVC line on the strainer, to raise it up, so that the entire contents of the reactor will be mixed.

The Eheim 1048 is strong enough to run a calcium reactor, but you might consider upgrading to an Iwaki.

You'll need to mix CO2 with your input water via a John Guest Tee fitting or similar. You probably want to build or purchase a bubble counter.

That should be enough to get you started, feel free to add ideas to this thread.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: