• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Anyone ever try using a pipe and some lapping compound?

I know I read that they used to do it that way a long time ago.

I am probably going to break down and buy a bit, just don't really want to....

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would take an excessive amount of time IMO. buy the bit, It will pay for itself... then pass it on to someone in your local club...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some cheap diamond bits on eBay...

If it is against your principle to give your tools away, I will send you $0.05 for your bit after you are done with it.... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard about those cheap bits.

The only one I could find in McMaster Carr was over 200$

Anyone actually have experience with the guy on ebay?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't but I did not remember anyone who says they are junk, so I assume they works.

The cheaper bits are from Taiwan/China, I think, and if the diamond falls off after drilling 10 holes, I guess you got your money's worth.

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*i think* Rob Top may have? he sent me a link to the guy in hong kong that sells them. I didnt know the rule about posting an ebay link ...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found him on Ebay, man those are great prices!

They are electroplated on, who knows if they will hold up, I have 3 holes to cut though.

I like the hole saw idea better than the dremel one, I can see myself messing that up right quick.

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the dremel route before I found the guy on e-bay. I have several of his bits for drilling holes to fit 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1.5" bilkheads. All of those and it is still cheaper than the other ones you can find. I am not a fan of cheap tools, I'll pay for quality, but with only needed to drill a few holes I thought I would give it a try. GREAT value could not be happier

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I changed my mind again...

I change it about as often as I change pants.

Today I bought three dremel bits at lowes, they were a diamond round bit, a diamond tapered bit, and a tile cutting bit.

I am going that route because I can make any size hole with it.

I am not starting until I get the bulkheads I ordered though, I want to make sure the hole is the right size...

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use LOTS of water, and have lots of time. I cut 2 holes for 1.5" bulk heads and it took me about 30 minutes a hole, not to mention the holes where not perfect circles, and I had to widen the hole a bit too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it will take some time

Oh well, it took the LFS I took my main tank to about 30 minutes a hole and they had a nifty drill press and a hole saw.

Plus they chipped all around the tank when they went through.

I have been waiting to set up a basement sump for 2 years, I guess I can wait a bit longer huh?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...Plus they chipped all around the tank when they went through.
:lol: I hope they did not charge you much for that kind of job.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they still charged me exactly what they said they were going to charge me in the beginning.

I really don't think the guy had much experience with it.

If I have time tomorrow and its not raining I am going to do a practice cut.

N Awe

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to drill my 120 tank.

Where did you buy your bulkheads?

Would two 1 1/2" bulkheads be good for a 120G tank. I want to have a mixed tank with 5 or less fish?

Can I get the guys info from you that sales the glass drilling hole saws on ebay?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my bulkheads from someplace called 123 pump or something. Marine Depot sells them also.

You need to figure out what kind of flow you want before you decide on a bulkhead fitting.

the guy on ebay is easy to find, I don't have a link.

Google ebay, hong kong, and diamond hole saws, his link will be one of the first to pop up.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten bulkheads from Dr Foster's & Smith's website, the 1.5" ones are relatively cheap at about $10 apiece, considering the cost well over $25 locally.

As to the drill, I dunno if I'd use a hole saw, but that's just me, you need something like 2.25" for a 1.5" bulkhead(???) to me it makes more sense to use a dremel with a glass cutting bit and make a ton of small holes then "connect the dots" with another diamonded tip bit. the hole itself doesn't need to be perfectly smooth or anything, just has to be a decent fit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: