• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

miston

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be building a wooden enclosure for a single 13watt PC bulb that will be placed flush against the back of my JBJ Nanocube to act as a refugium light. I purchased a kit with a ballast and reflector. Since it will be flush against the aquarium glass I think I need to install a fan.

What are my options for a fan? Preferably I would like to purchase a low decibel computer fan since it would be quiet, though I do not know how to go about wiring that. Computer fans run on 12V DC, and the ballast runs on AC.

It would be simpler to just purchase an AC fan, though it would be louder and it would add YET another cord to plug in the wall.

Suggestions or help on how to wire a computer fan would be great.

thanks!

Tole

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to pick up a 12V 0/0.1 A power supply from radio shack or other location.

The little brick kind with the plug prongs sticking out it, if you pay more than $10 it’s to much.

All so you should check the fan you want to use the label will have DC12V 0.1 A or some thing like that. The DC12 is the voltage the 0.1A is the amps it pulls. So just get a supply that matches the fan you want to use.

Wire + on power supply to the red wire on the fan and the black wire to the - of the supply, plug in and it should run for a year or 4 depending on the quality of the fan.

miston

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help!

The fan I want to use is rated at 12V and 0.12 amp. I went to Radio Shack's website. Is this what I need?

12.6V 300mA PCB-Mount Miniature Transformer

pRS1C-2264652w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...032058.2032230.2032277&pg=2&parentPage=family

There wasn't anything with exactly the output I needed, this is the best I could find, unless I missed it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't use the PCB mount version. Just get a regular powersupply, it is anywhere between $1 to $20 depends on where you buy it. Radio shack has it in all store, or you can use a powersupply for a computer for it.

miston

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not use a PCB mount version? It would be a cleaner install, a lot smaller than a big hunk of plastic

A computer power supply? As in a computer CASE power supply to power a little fan?

Tole

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12V DC 1A POWER ADAPTER 2731776 $29.99

Has adapter plug socket and 1.8m cord. 1000mA output.

More like this is so much EZer to do.

Attachments

• 2731773l.jpg
    2731773l.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,638
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
miston":1x305smf said:
why not use a PCB mount version? It would be a cleaner install, a lot smaller than a big hunk of plastic

A computer power supply? As in a computer CASE power supply to power a little fan?

The PCB you need to have rectifier to make that into DC. It is just more work, and in spite of the spirit of DIY, it is usually not worth it unless you want to make something you can't get off the shelf.

miston

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea but this 12 gallon is going on my desk, which already has a computer, monitor, speakers plugged into the wall.

I'm trying to do a clean install, making everything look neat, and minimize the number of wires and especially stuff plugged into the wall.

I already have 2 cords for the ballast, and one each for the heater, the ICA chiller, the moonlights, and the powerhead.

Easier isn't always BETTER. :)

I don't understand how its going to be that much work? I already have to install the ballast. All I have to do is run the transformer parallel to the ballast correct?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIG_3-09.gif

if you wire an AC fan to the same plug as the ballast you won't need a seperate plug

B

miston

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to keep it is quiet as possible, so I chose a low-decibel though though quality fan.

So I went with a Artic Cool Artic Fan 3, which is rated at 28 CFM but only 25 dB

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that PCB mount transformer is 120AC to 12.6AC. you need a full wave bridge rectifier and IMO a regulator to use it for DC. A rectifier will switch the voltage from AC to DC. It isnt something the average DIY'er would do unless you have some electronics experience already. I have built many PS, and a homebuilt PS will be much more consistant than wall wart, which often times can be +/- 5-10v....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: