• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ezhoops

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on wiring these timers all day and I got it to work but not properly.

here is what I'm dealing with

100_1185.jpg

100_1186.jpg

100_1187.jpg

Ok here is how I wired it up:

black (hot wire) from outlet to timer (each done individually)
White (neutral Wire) one wire connected from one outlet to the other (jumper)
Blue Wire on Timer to Ground wire from outlet
Red Screw not used
Green (ground) grounds connected to each other (screws)

that is how I wired them together and here is how I wired the plug to connect it all together.

each black wire connected to black wire on plug
White wire connected to one outlet and the other end connected to white wire on plug
Ground wires from the two timers connected to the ground on the plug.

this is all plugged into my DJ power center.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic or diagram is worth a thousand words... since I am all confused.

smontanus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diagram of how you wired and your timer model would really help. On my timers the blue wire runs to the hot line. I have leviton in wall digitals. This is how mine are wired.

Attachments

• elec.jpg
    elec.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,617

FragMaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a posetive ground if it keeps setting off the GFC. OR even a faulty ground.
Post a pic of the factory diagram.

ezhoops

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pic coming, regarding the ground. I have a ground wire (individually) going from the outlet screw to the blue wire on the Intermatic ss8c. It says not to use the red wire so I didn't.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey 7E,

do you think his power source line is too thin... it looks like he is using line that can't carry that load..... I used 12/2 and it worked great...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell what gauge he is using since the pic is not focused. 12 AWG sounds reasonable for most purpose, but for small powerhead and such, you can get away with smaller wire.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiosity does the timers reset the GFI when they're empty? Or with some sort of lighting hooked to them? I remember my magnetic metal halide ballasts would do that occasionally (something about the delay in the discharge or something tricking the circuit into thinking a difference in current out than in). I never figured it out and just wired them to a non GFI outlet.

But looking at your picture.. (and didn't anyone tell you yellow is a horrid color to use on a white background!).. your two timed plugs have a red & yellow going into them, so I assume red = hot, yellow = neutral or vice versa. And by the looks of things you have a hot (red) and a green (ground?) going into the the top of the timer, but not a neutral?

and you have a neutral and hot coming out (the little) blue I'm assuming is connected to red. But the out coming neutral is also connected to the main neutral(??). This circuit should work as I see it, which is maybe why it's tripping the GFI.

Now maybe those timers work differently than the ones I used, but in that setup that I seem to be reading that will not work, timers (typically) have hot/neutral in one side, and hot/neutral out the other as the timers only purpose is to connect the circuit.

Now if you made a booboo and did put a neutral to the top part of the timer (and neglected to draw it), according to your picture you'd short it out with the neutral wire coming down alongside the timer.

What I would do is have hot/neutral go into one side of the timer (incoming) and have hot/neutral coming out the other side that hooks to your two plugs. Hook the ground for the plugs to the main ground for the other ones and don't try to route a ground through the timers.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ezhoops":wiwwgcr6 said:
got it wired and working. its 12 guage wire I"m using. everything works great, thanks

Woh Woh WOh,

you dont just drop a little reply like that and keep on truckin along.... what was wrong and how did you fix it...? 8)

this is a good little post. i am sure someone will learn something from this and pass it on...

was it an easy fix for ya? inquiring minds want to know! :D

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd chime in about the guage of wire. 12-2 Is Ideal for just about any application regarding any aquarium duty. For instance.10-3 is used for 220 ovens and hot water heaters. 12-2 for most other heavy kitchen type duties. 14-2 will carry the load for most of it even though is is a little small. It will heat up and become a fire hazard in the worst case scenario. Also your timers will wear out quicker as circuit boards in computers dont like to run under powered. For instance..Im stuck in an Apt until june when i get the built in and have two computers and my 15gal plugged into one 15 amp outlet for a total of 25 plugs (MY LORD). Can you say seriously overloaded. What will most likely happen if this set up were to stay this way to long is the outlet will burn out or the breaker will fail. 14-2 can handle alot!! By the way. I do electrical work for a living. Kinda like the mechanic with the broken cars huh? :lol:
Just food for thought.

smontanus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":30ssvj5m said:
(and didn't anyone tell you yellow is a horrid color to use on a white background!)

Stand down killer...that diagram is mine. I was just trying to help the guy out. I shoulda known it would be hard to read. I posted it quick and it was never really meant for public display. Sorry about that. :)

The circuit works excellent for me though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>... I posted it quick and it was never really meant for public display.

We are all among friends here, so don't be too concern about minor issue like that. I feel sfsufuzzics was just teasing you ... you know, some woman are good at these color thing... ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: