• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

N Awe

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to install an overflow in a non-drilled 120G (48x24x24) tank and have the following questions.

Does it matter if I drill the holes in the middle of the back or by the corners?

Anyone know of a good link that will walk me through drilling a tank?

This tank will have a SDB with mixed corals and some fish. Should I drill 1 outlet or 2? and what diameter?

I plan on plumbing the tank similarly to Len's. I really like the clean look using a Super Squirt.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N Awe":2b1j904o said:
Does it matter if I drill the holes in the middle of the back or by the corners?
Not really - either is fine.

Anyone know of a good link that will walk me through drilling a tank?
http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/MAIN.htm
Click on "Power Tools" then "Diamond Drill Bits"
There are glass drilling bits available there at good prices as well as a guide on how to drill various things including aquariums.

This tank will have a SDB with mixed corals and some fish. Should I drill 1 outlet or 2? and what diameter?
Depends on how much flow you want to put through your sump. Personally I would use two 1" drains or one 1-1/2" drain on a tank that size.If you're interested in setting up a closed loop you might want to drill a few holes for that too...

Don't forget you will have to drill a much larger hole for the bulkhead than the actual pipe size (ex. 1" bulkheads often require a 1-3/4" hole in the glass). Decide on what bulkheads you're going to use and verify the opening size they require before you drill.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: