• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I have yet another similar question.

If I want to "stick" objects to acrylic, what can I use? I mean other materials like pvc, tree-fern panels, ect. For glass vivaria silicone is used. Will silicone hold sufficiently to acrylic for this application?

A

Anonymous

http://www.gluguru.com/acrylic.htm

Google turned up a bunch of things under "bonding to acrylic"

I used silicone to bond acrylic to glass for baffles in a sump.

If its not structual or needed to be permanetly watertight that would probably work fine.

Where are the pics of your setup? Have you updated the Vivarium forum?

A

Anonymous

Two extremes:

I often use a thick piece of acrylic (say 1/2 to 1 inch thick, ~2X2 inch size), drill and tap hole in it, and then use solvent cement to glue it. You can put anything on it with a bolt that way, as long as it is not going to be too heavy.

You may reinforce the area of the acrylic with another thick piece of acrylic, then drill and tap thru the entire dual panel, and put a bolt on it that way. It will be more permeant, but with the extra strength, you lost the flexibility.

The other extreme is to use shower suction cup with hook. Some of the good quality one actually is pretty strong. Don't like it a week later, just pull it right out without any mark.

Even the plastic hook with a double sided foam tape can be use. Can be a pain to clean if you ever want to remove it, but sure is a lot more easier than have to chisel out the reinforcement, and patch up the bolt hole.

A

Anonymous

Specifically what I want to do is attach this material called "cocos panels" to the back of the tank. Plants like to grow in it. The stuff is a combination of urethane and coir. Unfortunately it comes in fairly small sheets, so I would have to be doing a lot of drilling. I'll have to ponder this further.

Where are the pics of your setup? Have you updated the Vivarium forum?

Sure! Not sure when you looked at it last, but I update the thread regularly. 80 members in the forum so far!

http://www.vivariaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64

A

Anonymous

Weldon #40 makes a permenant bond between PVC and acrylic.

A

Anonymous

>...Unfortunately it comes in fairly small sheets, so I would have to be doing a lot of drilling.

Can you mount the small sheets to a large panel, then attach the large panel to the acrylic so that minimum drilling is needed?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: