• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

garvondavis14

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on building an external overflow for my 65, was hoping someone would have some links to show me, I need all the tips I can get lol. By the way, it will be jsut like an internal overflow, just on the outside, not a HOB. Thanks guys.

FragMaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you mean it will be Lik a "mega flow" type but mounted to the exterior glass with the bulk heads shooting straight into it?
I am sort of lost here. Could you show me a diagram?

garvondavis14

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing i'm not sure about, how much glass to leave at the top? I don't have a thick brace like that around the outside...

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an external OF on my 50G acrylic. I used a router to remove a 1x11" slot at the top center of the back panel. Obviously this will be a lot harder to do in a glass tank. After the slot was cut, i cemented a "comb" made of acrylic on to the slot. as you can see here:
of3.jpg

After that I installed the OF box, which was made of 1/4" acryic. The drain is on the bottom of the box, and it is wide enough for a 1" BH and a 1" durso.
you can see it here:
black-of.jpg

This is much nicer/cleaner than having a BH drilled in the tank, but It would be harder to do in glass, but not impossible.

chrismo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an external overflow, and like it. The only real difference between mine and the one on the link, is ine is much shorter... 6"deep I think.

One thing I wish I had done, is to make the overflow longr. Make it go from end of tank to end of tank, It works out to be a great little place to grow frags, and macro. Basically like a little refugium.

Just make your drain pipe extend a few inches up into the overflow, so there is always a few inches of water in there.

Chris

GINNY

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clear one is my first one . i made it clear so i could show the flow.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,939
  • IMG_0179_2.JPG
    IMG_0179_2.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 2,942
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look pretty good! The only issue with these HOB overflow is that that are such a pain to clean.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: