• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

You should start a topic about this in the DIY forum and hope that James Steele (aka Acrylics) sees it and responds. He makes his own acrylic glues and really knows his crap.

Seems like I said that once before...

Louey
:lol:

Well, here it is, my question...

I can not use Tap Weldon because I can't find it on the east coast for some strange reason. Are there any other brand names that I might be missing?

And I have the following chemicals in my shop, will any of them or a combination of them work just as well?

Acetone
Methyl ethyl ketone
mineral spirits
kerosene
turpentine
linseed oil (hehe)

Plus quite a few others.

I would like to make the cement myself if I can rather than order online, the wife is already mad about the 50$ for the acrylic.....

Thanks for any input.

Bryan

A

Anonymous

Here ya go. $5.73 for a 4 oz. can of Weld-on #4. That's the glue that you need. If you can't find it locally, buy it on-line.

That's the easy answer. Hopefully, Acrylics or 7E will come around and respond to your question about making your own cement. It is possible, but I know nothing about it. And at $5 dollars a can, I ain't about to start making my own ;)

Louey

A

Anonymous

1 10693 TAP Acrylic Cement (4 oz) 4.30 4.30
1 25658 Small BD-25/2 Hypo Applicator 3.10 3.10
Sub-Total $7.40
UPS Ground $9.86
GRAND TOTAL $17.26

Now that is irritating.....

Not only do I have to pay 10 bucks for shipping, but it has to come Ground from the west coast

which of course means I won't have it for at least a week, maybe 10 days....

Why is the west coast so far ahead of us east coasters acrylically speaking???

My tests so far included the following...

Acetone -- no
Methyl ethyl Ketone -- no
PVC Primer -- no
Mixture of Acetone and MEK -- no
Mixture of MEK, Acetone, water, MEK peroxide, and Hydrogen peroxide -- not even a little bit...

Most of them worked a bit, the would actually hold the piece on there until I twisted it off.

I sure hope weldon number 4 actually welds it so its like one piece.

Maybe the can will have the actual ingredients on it and then I can make some home grown moonshine type acrylic cement............

:lol:

A

Anonymous

I still can believe that you can't find it locally. Hell, I can get it in little bitty Fort Myers, Florida yercryinoutloud.

Waiting 10 day does suck ass.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Well, maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Here are the places I have called

Lowes
Home depot
Smith and Richards Lumber
Bridgeton Plumbing supply
Bridgeton glass
Millville glass
South Jersey glass
hobbies R us
the only plastic supply place in the phonebook who incidentally only sells molded plastic pieces to big companies.
2 sign shops
2 cabinet shops that do custom stuff

Most of them have heard of it, most of them would special order it for me for a fee

its irritating ya know?

Its such a common thing you would think...

A

Anonymous

Is there a medium size town nearby within driving distance?

A

Anonymous

Yeah, vineland and millville and bridgeton

I think there are places in Philadelphia that sell it, but that's an hour away

Its fine, the stuff will be on its way monday, and I will be formulating my own as soon as it gets here...

I should be able to get the right ratio's just by smell

or at least I will have fun trying.......

A

Anonymous

There is a paragon plastic within 2 mile from my house. Most place that do signs (you know, the light box with "Ed's Pizza" on the front) have these solvent and applicator.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe

shhhh

I did order some though

I got tired of doing tests and having them fail. I would never be a good edison or Franklin.....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minibowmatt":1kxorhpo said:
The Hidden Reef in Philadelphia has it, so does US plastics in Ohio

Is that store worth the trip?

It would be about 2 and a quarter hours round trip...

Not for the glue, I got that online, I mean for the store itself.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you an instant gratifiaction type guy? :D

i would make the drive... to get out of the house and think clearly away from the wife and kids.... you could avoid looking at those king santas for a couple of hours!!! 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA-Lawman":2ib9wf7u said:
are you an instant gratifiaction type guy? :D

i would make the drive... to get out of the house and think clearly away from the wife and kids.... you could avoid looking at those king santas for a couple of hours!!! 8)

No, but I hate traveling

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hidden reef is an OK store. they usually have a lot of healthy corals in stock. Prices are competitive, but not outrageous. IMO, I would drive the exra hour and go to That Fish Place in Lancaster Pa. Much better prices on drygoods, and livestock. The only bad thing I can say about THR, is their workers sometimes look down on the hobbiests that come in, sometimes you get the " i know more about everything SW than you do" attitude... Im not partial to that attitude. But I also know which salespeople to go to for help...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: