• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fine cut 80 tooth (10" - 5/8" arbor) woodworking blade that I've used for cutting cast acrylic sheet in the past when building internal overflow boxes, sump baffles, etc. It seems good enough for crude purposes but I'd like to get a proper blade for acrylic work.

Would something like this work well?
http://www.carbide.com/catalog/CTSB_details.cfm?ID=LTZ-130022639

The cheaper blade (above) is not actually listed as a plastics blade, but it seems to have similar specs to the "real" acrylic blades like these:
http://www.carbide.com/catalog/CTSB_details.cfm?ID=AMA-LB10801
http://www.carbide.com/catalog/CTSB_details.cfm?ID=FST-LNM250

Will any of these blades produce edges that don't require additional prep before gluing (assume something that needs good, strong joints like a sump or display tank for example)?

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chris,

Any of them will be fine for simply cutting with minimal chipping but IMO all materials should be prepped prior to gluing, esp on aquaria and no blade that I've seen creates a good enough edge to not require edge preparation. Based on the above, I see no reason to spend the extra $$ on "plastics" blades as they simply aren't worth the $$ IMO/IME. I personally use NF (non-ferrous) blades for almost everything, these can be found at www.everlastsaw.com and look for blade NF1080M (similar to the Leitz NF blade) but the Leitz should be just fine though I personally have no experience with them. I personally like the 0deg hook angle found on the Everlast blades. A positive hook tends to chip and a negative hook tends to melt but a 0deg hook is juuust right :) again IMO.

HTH,
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Routing is fine if you do a good job to ensure the edge is smooth. I usually go over it with sand paper (becareful not to round the edge!). Can't remember the grit, but I think it is 420 or something.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We didn't prep the edges in the MACO skimmer or reactor classes. Fergy said that the edges from the table saw were fine for gluing. James is the expert though, so I now expect my stuff to start leaking any day now.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":b24202wb said:
We didn't prep the edges in the MACO skimmer or reactor classes. Fergy said that the edges from the table saw were fine for gluing. James is the expert though, so I now expect my stuff to start leaking any day now.

Louey

:lol:

drip drip drip

drip drip

:evil:

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For *most* purposes, a good saw cut is fine for gluing, it'll stick & hold. But I am picky, conservative, and quite neurotic about my stuff so the extra 10-15 minutes to route all the edges is no biggy. For display tanks, I'd consider this much as mandatory.

I haven't needed to do any further prep other than just routing but I have advantages most hobbyists won't have; 5 x 8' & 5 x 10' router tables with 3/4" inlayed steel plates for attaching router bases so no vibration. All covered in polished Formica, makes moving big stuff easy :) I am in the process of building another 5 x 10' router table (next coupla weeks), maybe I'll take pics this time.

James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the one I got. I checked it out when I got home tonight:

Model TRL10804

Diameter 10"

Teeth 80

Kerf .095"

Bore 5/8"

Price $183.50

Seem that I recall it was only $140 when I bought it 2.4 years ago.

Cuts acrylic like butter.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
louey

what kind of teeth are they?

Is it a triple chip cut blade?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way....

NO matter what blade you get, it will not cut straight edges unless the fence is set parallel to the blade. There are adjustments for that on most saws, and most saws are not adjusted correctly.

it should be exactly the same distance from a tooth on the front of the blade to the fence as it is from that same tooth rotated to the back of the blade.

Most of the time they are set so that as the work slides through the saw the blade gets looser.

Mine at work is really sloppy, and it made just horrendous cuts on the acrylic I bought. But, there is no use in me setting it, we abuse it by cutting 4 inch oak on it as well as running aluminum and brass through it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a triple chip grind.

Don't recall what "kind" of teeth it has.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: