• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Entacmaea

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I just ordered some 6" OD acrylic tubing for a CA reactor and Kalkreactor, and am wondering if people know of a good source for rubber gaskets for the top- to use in the typical black screw or wingnut circular seals for the tops of the chambers. I think I need 7" diameter or there abouts...

Thanks!

Peter

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.mcmaster.com/

McMaster Car carries them. I bought some there during the Maco acrylic course. I bought extras and still have never used them. One will last a long time.

Louey

Entacmaea

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey- great link, thanks! There are a million to choose from, not really sure what I am looking for- do you remember what you had ordered? I guess I am looking for a flatter gasket, rather than an o-ring with a cross section which is circular? FOund the circular o-rings but can't find the flatter ones...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the McMaster site, search for "rubber gasket flange". Scroll down to the rings without holes area. I don't recall exactly which ones we used, but they were cheap. My guess is the SBR column.

I have a ton of gaskets for 6" tube. They have an inside dimension of 5- 9/16 and an outside dimension of 7 - 3/4". If this is will work for you just PM you mailing address to me. I'll send you one or two for the low low price of free. I'll drop a couple in the mail to you and you owe me one. ;)

Louey

Entacmaea

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey- I found exactly what I needed- thanks for the search help.

I may need more than a couple for various projects (double cyclinder CA reactor, top off reservoir, kalkreactor, etc.) so I will just order some. Thanks for your offer though- I figure I owe you one regardless! : )

Happy New Year!

Best, Peter

Adam1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have gotten buna O-rings from a local hydraulics place and by looking in the yellow pages under "seals", "O-rings" or "Gaskets".

I build my DIY projects so that the tube extends above the flange by about 1/2 the thickness of the O-ring. This helps keep the o-ring in place while placing the lid and provides an excellent seal.

These work extremely well and are very inexpensive.

HTH

Adam

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: