• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump that looks alot like this one:

amsr50.jpg

I really want to do a refugium but with that setup, it pretty much impossible. My question is, would it be worth it to take the bio balls out and make a space in there for a refugium with Live Sand/Plants instead of using bio balls?

I have a 125 gal fish only with live rock right now.. I have the lights and such for a reef tank just havn't traveled that road yet. Would a refugium be more helpfull for quality of water over bio balls for Fish or am I wasting my time?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on using a skimmer? A refugium would be nicer then the bioballs IMO, but it may not be worth the trouble. Regardless, I'd remove the bio balls.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That "trickle" type filter is noisey as all get out. You could do away with the lid and run a drain line directly into the sump (or fuge) below the water line so that it isn't so noisey.

Is this fuge in addition to whatever sump you have now, or is it going to be a combo sump/fuge?

The only problem with sump/fuge is the flow rate through it may be too high to keep a sandbed in place. That is the only problem I see with this.

Louey

baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their is a decent sized compartment to the left of the bio balls that I use to host a skimmer, UV Filter, heater and the return pump. My idea was to keep that compartment in tact and remove the bio balls and build a refugium there. I would create something for the water in so it wouldn't be pounding the live sand.

I was thinking about creating a seperate fuge but I onlyhave one overflow and wasn't sure how to seperate the fuge correctly. And having a seperate fuge would be alot more work :)

baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I did a little more research and have and idea, check out the pics below, the first one is what my sump looks like now, the second is what I was thinking of doing.

Only think that seems not right to me is that when the water overflows out of the fuge, it flows right back to the pump to put it back into the fuge.. Obviously it will get mixed up since the water from the overflow of the display tank will be coming in at the same spot and at a higher flow rate.. Im guessing for the pump for the refugium should be around 100 GPH? Water should be coming in at around 250 GPH so that shoudl flush out the good refugium water. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• new.gif
    new.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,597
  • current.gif
    current.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,589

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you need the water pump to feed the refugium area. Why not just Tee off the drain so some of it naturally flows into the refugium? It saves you on using one more mechanical equipment :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you want 100 GPH powerhead for the refug? I would use a smaller pump just enough to keep the refug. well aerated and provide sufficient circulation.

baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":151unf0j said:
I'm not sure you need the water pump to feed the refugium area. Why not just Tee off the drain so some of it naturally flows into the refugium? It saves you on using one more mechanical equipment :)

Yeah, thats a good idea Len.. I will give that a shot, thanks!

I will let you know how it goes.

baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, got the plexy glass in there now and have a section dedicated to the fuge.. it holds water nicely. I have a few more questions. I like your idea Len about just branching the overflow tube into the fuge and the normal sump but not sure the best way to do it. Right now I have a flexible hose that goes from the bottom of the tank into the sump.. Im not sure how to get some of it into the fuge and the rest into the sump... I was thinking about just poking holes into the tube and have it rest over the fuge and trickle in. Or I could get some plumbing tubes and make soemthign that way.. still not sure how to do it very well.

Also, I have a 40W Power Compact, half blue and have 10k that I will run over the fuge, question is, how long should the light be on? All Day? All Night? 24/7? I plan on having 4 inches or so of live sand and possibly some chaetomorpha. Any thoughts? Maybe something else in there besides chaetomorpha?

Im really new to sumps and refugiums so I am really interested in seeing what other people are doing.

Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: