• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

glenns454

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a new canopy out of oak. Can anyone tell me which stain will match the pine AGA oak colored stand.

Thanks
Glenn

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do is go to HD or Lowes and get a color sample sheet to take home. I did this a few years ago and was able to find a suitable match.

You could also contact AGA and ask them. You should be able to find a contact number on their website. http://www.all-glass.com/products/stands/index.html

Louey

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with going with the same stain AGA uses since it's different woods. Unfortunately, I don't know what the best way to go about matching two different woods is.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a door you can take off, take it to home depot or lowes and look at the minwax color samples.

I did if for an Ikea Desk. Close, but not exact. But since it wasn't sitting right on top of the desk (it had the distance of the tank after all!) it looked okay.

HOWEVER. I HATED HATED HATED the way the water-based stains looked on the wood. It looks like thinned paint, rather than actual stain.

B

owenz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stained my stand with a dark lacquer, then cut from a sheet of self-adhesive wood grain from the hardware store to go over the old wood grain tape along the top and bottom edges of the tank. The adhesive wood-grain I used is kind of like this, only much cheaper (from Ace hardware):

http://www.jacaranda.com/photofurniture.html

Just buy a large roll, then cut to fit.

Overall mine has a cherry/mahogony look. Much much better than the factory tape they stick to the tanks.

jlneng

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AGA Oak stand. Minwax Golden Oak stain matched pretty well. Used on an Oak hood, and a Red LED light strip behind the tank for night illumination.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stain and varnish stuff all the time as a general contractor.. AS far as i know Minwax stains are not water based. Trust me, you want to wear gloves to stain with that stuff. It doesnt just wash of as water based products do. Also spent the extra money and buy pre stain conditioner /sealer it will not only stain more evenly but your varnish will go on smoother. All wood takes stain differently, even different pieces of the same kind. I would take a peice of finished stuff with you and buy two or three pints of what you think will work best. Go home and experiment with a peice of scrap/ or the inside of cabinetuntil you have something you think you will be happy with.. you may need to blend two colors. When you think you have it ,varnish it to make sure because that will bring even more color out of the wood. Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: