• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leak from the fitting on the output of my panworld pump. I gave it a couple of wraps of Tephlon. What is the correct amount to use? How tight and which direction do you wrap it (in case that matters). I had to take the whole sump out the other day and this is the only fitting that is an issue. The water always runs in a convenient pattern so a small wad of newspaper changed each day is keeping things clean and dry but obviously I need to fix this.

-Adrian

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three turns should be plenty. Too much can actually be detrimental. You want to wrap counter-clockwise so the tape doesn't try to unravel on you when you tighten the fitting (clockwise).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use plumbers thread compound? The excess is squeezed out and it works every time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy it at any home supply. It is white in color and has a brush in the can. Apply it to the male threads and then screw it together. Wipe off the excess. It is safe for human consumption and does not need to cure. Its what the plumbers use.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same thing on pvc and brass/copper for low pressure/drainage. For pressure rated lines, use the teflon tape.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cknowlto":17ay0o6g said:
I use the same thing on pvc and brass/copper for low pressure/drainage. For pressure rated lines, use the teflon tape.

The paste is used on gas and water lines. Aren't they under pressure.?
Where does anybody say to only use it on low pressure. What good is a sealant if you can't use it on a pressure system? Where are you getting your information?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use it on low/no pressure lines. Personal preference from nearly 4 years of plumbing experience. No one said that you couldn't use it on pressure lines. I just don't. I use the teflon tape. Here in NY IIRC code says that you have to use high density teflon tape on gas lines not the goop. I could be mistaken though it has been a while since I did any gas line.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used thread sealing compound on 3/4" black iron gas line before. I tested the system at 80 PSI with a compressor after finishing with the install and it held with no problems.

I used Rector Seal No. 5, see here:
http://www.rectorseal.com/slnts.htm
A good friend of mine is a plumber in NY and it's what he recommended.

For aquarium stuff I generally use the teflon tape because it seems to work fine and it's not messy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cknowlto":12a63p3x said:
I only use it on low/no pressure lines. Personal preference from nearly 4 years of plumbing experience. No one said that you couldn't use it on pressure lines. I just don't. I use the teflon tape. Here in NY IIRC code says that you have to use high density teflon tape on gas lines not the goop. I could be mistaken though it has been a while since I did any gas line.

Could it be that the natural gas reacts with the goop so that the code not using it? :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":2a3o9mvv said:
cknowlto":2a3o9mvv said:

Could it be that the natural gas reacts with the goop so that the code not using it? :?

I just had a gas firplace installed with about 50' of black iron pipe installed. They used the goop and the inspector didn't say a word. Actually, its easier to use the paste as the excess is squeezed out. The goop also has teflon particles in it.
There is a "yellow" very thick teflon tape that is gas line rated.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: