• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pironya

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi

i am making an in sump venturi skimmer and am thinking of using teflon tape for sealing the joints where the inlet and outlet pipes enter the reaction chamber..is this a good idea?
one of these joints will be constantly submerged..will the teflon leach undesirable stuff into the tank?
if the teflon is a bad idea?what are the alternatives that i could use?silicon sealant?

thanks for any help

regards

arvind

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teflon tape is 100% reef safe.

Use it without fear.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wrap it around a whale enough times, it will kill it!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx, beruka for the links.

I feel that it is not an issue for the reef tank. In fact, excuse me of sounding like a selfish jack, I would worry more about the health of myself and my family due to the wide spread application of Telfon thorought my house, before worrying about my fishes and corals. Unless a better alternative is available, I would weight the pros and cons and probably will continue to use it if there is no better solution. :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a physical/engineering issue, not chemical.

Telfon tape make it easier to rotate the fitting, and with tapered pipe thread, it can cause the pump head (the plastic enclosure that hold the rotating part) to crack, very common in cheap plastic pump with female thread. These warning should applies to all powerhead/pump.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fishing lures are known to cause cancer in the state of California...

beruka

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the I agree the state of the world is more important than the state of your fish tank 8O

Not enough residuals to cause alarm in your system in any case.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: