• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled up my tank and fired up my Closed loop pump for the very first time. I have a panworld 50px-x (1100gph). I have 1 1" inlet and 4 1" outlets. The outlets use OceanMotions omniflex nozzles. Currently, only the tips of the nozzles are submerged (due to the fact I only wanted to test the closed loop plumbing for leaks, and there was one, not the entire sump/return).

What I see is constant bubbles being blown out of the nozzles. Not small ones either, but medium size ones. I've blocked 2 of the nozzles in an attempt to blow out the air in the piping, but it really doesn't go away. I've run the system overnight to no avail. Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air is from somewhere... possibly from a small hole in the intake portion. Good luck.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 7E. I did find 1 leak, but that was on the main outlet near the pump. I'll be fixing that tonight. Shouldn't I see some sort of water leak alongthe inlet of piping if there is an air leak?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily, the movement of water typically creates an effect which allows air to be sucked in (water doesn't go out).

I noticed a microbubble problem myself with my OM, until I realized one of the anti-siphon holes I drilled was above the water line.. well duh it's pulling air in.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that creates a problem finding it. :lol: I have a few threaded fittings in the inlet side that could be causing the problem. I don't have any drilled pieces. I have those pretty tight. Next time I do this I'm going to only use slip and glue fittings except where absolutely necessary.

Here is a pic. Any ideas on troubleshooting this? I know how to fix water leaking out. Didn't know I was going to need to know how to fix air leaking in :lol: .

Attachments

• plumbing002 (Medium).JPG
    plumbing002 (Medium).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,294
  • plumbing003 (Medium).JPG
    plumbing003 (Medium).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,295

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my CL and had a ton of micro bubbles as well. I double checked my unions and glued my threaded fittings right to the pump. It seemed to do the trick. Good luck. AS for your purple primer. Its very clean. I didnt use any primer on my joints as its messy. RED HOT BLUE GLUE all the way.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trido88

So you PVC glued the threaded fittings? I'd prefer not to do that....but...

These are definitely NOT micro bubbles. They are good sized bubbles. Maybe this is why the flow isn't as good as I think it should be.

Thanks. That primer stuff IS a nightmare. I swear I left the garage totally dizzy a few times - and I had a fan on 8O .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned that the outlets are just under the water...

While its running, take a very good look at the flow coming from those outlets. You are looking for a very small whirlpool effect right near the outlet.

If the flow from a pump is very high, and the outlet is real close to the surface of the water the force of the water coming out can actually suck air down into the flow. I have a Mag3 pump hanging in my tank acting as a powerhead and if I tip it up so its just a bit closer to the top it sucks air down and sprays huge bubbles everywhere.

If the leak you are trying to fix is in a threaded fitting then you need to tighten it a bit more. If the threaded fitting is in a glued up line of piping then cut the pipe and tighten it then put it back together with a coupling.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and if the leak is on the inlet side of the pump you probably will not see much of a leak. While its running there will be no water due to the suction effect, and if its a small enough leak then water won't come out through it.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. tonight I'll fill the tank up to the proper level and see what happens with the bubbles at the outlets to make sure I'm not tricking myself. Then I'll double check the threadded fittings.

Would 100% silicone around the threaded joints seal them OR would that just make a mess? I'd really hate to cut this apart, tighten everything up, and still have it leak. I'm just looking for an alternative prior to bustin out the old hack saw.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it'd make a mess. As long as you use teflon tape on threaded joints you should be fine.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sfuphysics - I used tephlon tape on every threaded fitting. I think there's 5 threaded points on the inlet side of the piping.

At the bulkhead, a thread to slip fit piece, 2 at the union/ball joint, and 1 at the pump itself.

How many turns of tephlon tape do you use? I used 1 and then another 1/2 turn to get back out. The problem might be at the bulkhead, but I'm afraid to tighten the 90 bend into the bulkhead to far. I broke one bulkhead doing that.

Guess I'll drain the tank down below the intake and take the inlet side apart, tighten all of the threaded fittings and try again.

Thanks again.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the pump off for a day because I figured I was going to have to take everything apart anyway...and I found a leak on the intake. Apparently, the water pressure from the tank pressing down on the pump was enough to push some water out. I took most of the fitting apart, cleaned them, and re-tephlon'd them and reinstalled. I also cranked the fitting all the way until I couldn't turn them anymore. Now, that I've done that the pipe is about 1/2" too short. Need to cut the pipe and get a 1" slip to 1" slip coupling. I'll do that tomorrow, cut, re-glue and hope it fixes the problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: