• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

1splat4u

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are setting up an in wall 72"X18"X24" cold water tank. We are planning on having the tank custom built. We have contacted various vendors who suggested acrylic thickness of 1.5" for maximum insulation. I am a little weary of their recommendations, since they are motivated to sell a more expensive tank. Does anyone have any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic get very expensive when you get over 1 inch thick. For insulation, can a dual pane or that won't work for acrylic? You maybe able to use two layers of 3/4 inch with air sandwich between, or even get away with 1/2 inch layers.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill the void with an inert gas if you go that route, otherwise you'll get condensation in the middle of the dual pane.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy has a really "cool" cold water reef.

http://www.oregonreef.com/index.html

I know it was made by envision acrylics in OR.

envisionacrylics.com

James is a good guy and doubt he would try to rip you off. He built my 60 cube and I felt the price was fair. His service is great.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thickness you need depends on the temp differential between the water temp and the ambient air temp as well as ambient humidity. So... how cold is your coldwater? FWIW the tanks referenced above were made from 1" acrylic. Under most circumstances, I see no *real* reason to go above that unless you live in Florida and want a 50deg tank, then 1.25" is more than likely just fine.

Hi Wazzel, thanks for the kind words :)

HTH,

James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: