• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've posted anything on the site, so I figured I should show some of my progress on my DIY canopy.

Materials

2x2's for posts
1x2's for the rest of the structural support
1/2" Oak plywood
1/4" pine trim (3.5"x0.25")
Wood Screws
Wood Glue
1/2" braids
Hinges (Home depot)

Here are some pictures fairly far along. But then again, I still need to do ventilation, mount lighting, paint, stain, poly acrylic.....
:(

Attachments

• Canopy-inside (Large).JPG
    Canopy-inside (Large).JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Canopy-front (Large).JPG
    Canopy-front (Large).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,900

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more pics of the front panel. The pine trim will hang down about 3/4" to cover the water line. You can't see it in these pics, but I'll post some more tomorrow.

Attachments

• Canopy-Door002 (Large).JPG
    Canopy-Door002 (Large).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,896
  • Canopy-Door001 (Large).JPG
    Canopy-Door001 (Large).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,897

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about enclosing the back side of the canopy. My GF does not like the light shining out the back of the canopy lighting up the entire room. I'm hesitant to do this because of air circulation and heat buildup...even with 2 4" icecap fans. Does anyone know of a "breathable" foam material that will block the light, yet still allow air circulation to take place?

I'm thinking about enclosing the upper portion on the back (above the plumbing) and using the "breathable" medium for the lower portion.

What do you think? Ideas...

Reefer2b

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting are you going to run?

Even if it's halides, I'd think two 4" fans would be decent.

Partially blocking the back (i.e. the top) would certainly cut down on reflected light getting bounced up above the tank on the wall behind it and might keep you out of trouble, but you'll still see it.

tom

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting set up.

PFO mini pendant
150w DE metal halide
2x39w T5 Tek retro kit

Bulbs -
Actentic
Actenic Plus
150W Aqualine HQI DE metal Halide (white)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to enclose the entire back and use 3 4" ice cap fans. 2 blowing in and 1 blowing out.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try window screen rolls to cover up the back. While this won't completely block out the light, it'll dim it (fine black screen) and still keep air flowing.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good again Spaulr. That pine sure does look amazingly good against that oak. I wish I could get away with that at work. :lol:

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of an almost finished canopy. I'm still waiting for the white marine paint to completely dry. It feels dry, but when pressure is applied you find out that it is definitely NOT dry. It'll probably take until this weekend to fully cure. Then I'll attach the front door, stain, and poly-acrylic the entire thing.

I was able to get all of the wiring done for the 39W T5s and mount the 150W halide. I'm running a true Actenic and a Actenic plus. The plus is very blue, where as the true Actenic is the black light spectrum. Halide is a 10k and very clean white.

I also mounted the 120mm (4in) ice cap fans. Great quality. My only gripe about these fans is that they only come with 2 mounting screws, not 4. For the $45- pricetag Ice Cap should not be so damn cheap and should include all 4 mounting screws!! :evil:

Here are some pics with the lights on. Have not mounted the relfectors yet on the T5s. Not sure if its really worth it.

Attachments

• lighting007 (Medium).JPG
    lighting007 (Medium).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,742

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics.

Attachments

• lighting008 (Medium).JPG
    lighting008 (Medium).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,738
  • Lighting001 (Medium).JPG
    Lighting001 (Medium).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,741
  • lighting002 (Medium).JPG
    lighting002 (Medium).JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,740

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some more.

Attachments

• lighting003 (Medium).JPG
    lighting003 (Medium).JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,738
  • lighting004 (Medium).JPG
    lighting004 (Medium).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,739
  • lighting005 (Medium).JPG
    lighting005 (Medium).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,738

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleeding.. I was going to try your idea with the screen. Maybe even use a double layer. If that doesn't work and the amount of light being emmited is still unacceptable for the gf, I was planning on using part of a grey foam sheet that you can use in packing. Cut to fit into the gaps.

I'm waiting for all the paint to dry. Hopefully, I'll be able to work on it again this weekend.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: