• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

felixc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some curved bulkheads to do a recirculating skimmer, does anyone know where to obtain these?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
felixc, I don't think they sell them, due to very low demand.

Yes, they work with PVC pipe, and you can cement a fitting at the end of the pipe. Makes me nervious when I see one (I am sure they are not used in nuclear reactor or a chemical processing plant), but I heard it is pretty leak proof... :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For in sump skimmer, minor leakage, if it ever happens, will not be an issue.

felixc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":30aq3g9i said:
For in sump skimmer, minor leakage, if it ever happens, will not be an issue.

That's the thing, it's not for in-sump, it's going to be an external and cannot leak at all.

felixc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisRD":1zgwtsto said:
FWIW, I've seen lots of pics of people using the Uniseals that Rob linked for DIY recirculating skimmer mods...

I know, I see it too, but that doesn't mean it doesn't leak. Would love to hear from people who have used these personally. Would like to know if it leaks at all using it for recirculating application.

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them on a recirc skimmer. I bought this skimmer off e-bay and long story short I got my money back on it as it wasn't as discribed. But that isn't the point, the uniseals where on it and I ran the skimmer for about a week before shipping it back. Not a leak on it. I actually have a few of them right now for a DIY Ca reactor I plan to make...someday :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like you need to mold your own from epoxy. Or whittle one from nylon. Something that is the curve on one side for the skimmer and flat on the other for the bulkhead.

Or make an adaptor from say plexiglass to glue on the outside of the skimmer.

Just random thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of PLB 's idea above will work, but it can be tricky to get a nice joint for a curved surface.

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 6 CC skimmers and had to tap in 2 places on each on. Ugly as can be, but Marine Goop is what I used. HD has it, it's basically just thick silicon. I took a MTP on the outside and a FTP on the inside and tightened it up.

comatose

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uniseals work great, i have two on a new Calcium reactor that is under pressure and i don't even get salt creep, check it out under my DIY secttion on my webpage, Calcium reator II. i would never go back to bulkheads again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: