• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fishbait

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a DIY design for a protein skimmer to handle between a 150 to 25 gallon tank. I've been seeing allot of different DYI designs but have not seen a design that looks simialr to the AquaC design with the black box at the bottom and the large gate valve. I'm very interested in making one of those or equivelant.

I'm just starting to get my reef supplies together again. It's been 12 years since I had one and it seems like a lot of things have improved especially the sumps and skimmers.

Any help or quidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would base my design on an existing mass produced model. Changes I would make would be to make the mixing chamber a little taller and lower the gate valve. Possible make the riser a bit taller also.

fishbait

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do that, why is it that they have the output so high. Is it to raise the water volume inside? Anyway, I need to get the dimensions or a plan from someone who already has done so...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it to raise the water volume inside?

Yes, to get the water depth up so that you can get some nice bubble as you jet water into the chamber, and get the water level high enough so you have skimmate at least around the neck of the tube instead of inside the chamber.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured the lower the gate valve the less bubbles you discharge. I was under the impression the gate valve regulated the water level?

cdavidson

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, (using one now) I have used old beckett, and venturi skimmers, removing the beckett and feeding them with N/W pumps. they worked great! You can also a Hartmans (?) loop if you need more control over the water height.
The one I am running right now has been made recirculating!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: