• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pwingate17

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur Microwave Lamps are used to light large areas such as gyms, large warehousess. Considered to be used to farm in space. They look like they have the same benefits as LEDs(low power consumption,long life, and low heat). but able to light a much larger area with a single unit, also they can be dimmed. Anybody know anything about these or if they are even available to the public?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm sure they could be used, but the problem is they would look very yellow (they're usually in the 3000-5000K color temp range).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower temperature will be achieved at the cost of reduced efficiency.

That and combine with the current achievable color indicates that there is a lot of work needs to be done to make it a common lighting option. Besides, the lumens per watt ratio is not that attractive when compare to HID.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is more from http://www.edcmag.com/CDA/Archives/6bb7 ... 32a8c0____
The long-awaited sulfur lamp

Ever since October of 1994 when Rockville, MD-based manufacturer Fusion Lighting Inc. introduced the sulfur microwave lamp (with help from the U.S. DOE), those in the lighting industry have been watching the high-tech lamp carefully.
Fusion’s Solar 1000 sulfur lamp operates by bombarding a golf ball-sized bulb filled with sulfur and argon with microwaves from a device called a magnetron. The light emitted has a very high efficacy of 105 lumens per watt, a correlated color temperature of 6000K, a CRI of 79, and can be dimmed to 30% of output with less than 300 Kelvin color shift. Additionally, only 27% of the light emitted from the lamp is in the ultraviolet or infrared spectrum, compared to 50% for metal halide and 62% for cool white fluorescent. Recently, the company increased the lamp’s lumen maintenance to 100%, and although the bulb has an essentially limitless lifespan, the system’s life is limited by the magnetron’s 20,000 hour rating.

Over the last several years, the lamp has won awards from Popular Science and Discover for its innovative design, and has been installed — usually with accompanying light-distribution systems by companies like

3M — in a number of demonstration areas, including the National Air and Space Museum, an auto assembly plant in Michigan, a subway installation in Sweden, and, just recently, an Air Force base in Ogden, TX. "We’ve been doing many prototype demonstration installations, but we believe that in ‘98 we’ll be going to a production level," said Dan Estrada, a spokesman for the company. Although the price of the lamp varies depending on the delivery system, in a light pipe system the lamp’s cost is approximately $2,500 per unit, plus $60 per foot of light pipe. "It’s a competitive system when the life-cycle costs are considered," said Estrada.

"The jury is still out on the sulfur lamp," said Jo Anne Lindsley, principal of Lindsley Consultants Inc., a New York-based lighting design firm. "My initial opinion of the lamp after seeing it in a test demonstration in Washington was that the color was problematic — pale and slightly greenish. But the light can be filtered, and there are some experimental projects using fiber optics we might use it for."

A major problem with Fusion’s lamp has been the weight of the power supply for the magnetron system, which could weigh as much as 50 pounds. The recently introduced Light Drive 1000 system, however, includes a new lightweight electronic power supply that allows the entire lamp system to weigh in at approximately 20 pounds.

The lamp also lacks a wide variety of fixtures, a problem companies like Cooper Lighting and Moldcast Lighting are working to address. In fact, early last year Cooper Lighting installed two prototype freestanding kiosks in the Sacramento Municipal Utility District building in Sacramento, CA. The kiosks use the Fusion lamp to indirectly light a 2,000-square-foot room. Meanwhile, Fiberstars is working on a fiber optic system that efficiently distributes the lamp’s bright light.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":2ysc1wnr said:
The lower temperature will be achieved at the cost of reduced efficiency.

That and combine with the current achievable color indicates that there is a lot of work needs to be done to make it a common lighting option. Besides, the lumens per watt ratio is not that attractive when compare to HID.

What is the lumens per watt on a HID?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, it is somewhere between 80-100 lm/W. The number is deceiving, just like almost anything in optical physical, due to the various spectrum. It is more like a pound of apple vs. a pound of orange, but the apple is 90cent per pound, while the orange is 25 cents/lb.

We reef hobbyists have a very different requirement than the bulb manufacture. They want something with a large market, which usually means that something with a "warmer" color like 5500K or less. No one want to buy a lamp that makes you looks a vampire. The hydroponics and the reef, however, is a smaller market, and want a different spectrum.

matroxD

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am new and have posted a few things, however, this discussion has me thinkking and debating something I have thought about for a while. I have a Sunlight Supply 100 watt MH that I sued for hydroponics, it of course is I believe the standard 5.5K bulb. Is it possible to use this on my reef? Or do I "need" to go with the 10 and 14K options? I am not ready to upgrade my lighting as of yet, but I would like to do halides when I am ready to do so.

Thanks, any help is appreciated as this will/would save me from what I am looking around at, at least 170.00.

D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 100W or 1000W?

Anyway, 5.5K kelvin is not that bad, but it surely is very yellow in reef standard. You just need to make sure it does not burn the coral due to higher PAR at low kelvin. Also, watch for browning and other other issues. I would start off with only a few frag to make sure it is what you want to look, and that the corals are doing well.

matroxD

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Seven!

It is 100W and the tank is only 10 gallon(DIY nano). I had an issue with hair algea that some Phosguard is cleaning up, so I think I am going to try and obtain a nice coralline base and then I will be trying for the halide then. And yes, it's pretty yellow looking, so that is why I was wondering if I could use it. I also am wondering and I have yet to investigate if anyone makes a 100watt 14K single ended halide bulb. If I could find one of those, that would be wonderful.

Thanks,

D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100W hi-temp MH bulb is not that popular, but Iwaki, Osram or Philips may have them for specialty lamp. Some are being use in the hobby, but I don't know what wattage or format is available out there. Go browse some reef hardware places (check the RDO sponsor list, for example), and see if they have what you looking for. Good luck.

matroxD

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks Seven. I will check. I know the bulb that I have for it right now is a Philips, and I also have a venture, but I will have to check with Osram and Iwaki.... THanks alot

D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: