• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NMreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I've built a sump/refugium using a old tank and plexiglass divders w/silicone to hold them into place. My question is...How long do I wait before installing it into my system? I will be replacing a sump/refugium with this one. I used silicone form HD if it makes any difference.

Thanks,
Phillip

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAKE SURE it doesnt have ANTI-Mildew angents in it.

I believe I was told GE makes pure 100% silicon.

I would wait untill it cures completely, if you have your system stable now). Around 48 hrs just to be safe .. id say.

B

NMreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I used the GE 100% silicone for windows and doors. It's actually called Silicone I. The Silicone II looks to be taking the place of the I, at least in my local HD. I got 2 tubes just in case. For the record the II has the anti bacterial agent. It will be at least a week before the install. I still have to drill a small hole in the side of the tank. It shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm going to let a local shop do it for $20.

Thanks again,
Phillip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the small hole for your sump or the overflow for the display? If it is for the display there are some simple HOB pvc overflows you could build to avoid drilling the hole.

My .02

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NMreefer":2w3qsopb said:
Yeah, I used the GE 100% silicone for windows and doors. It's actually called Silicone I.
I've used this same stuff many times. I generally give it a day to dry - never had a problem.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the stuff on a project and it is currently YELLOW!

Maybe i didnt allow enough time to cure. seems to be holding fine though.

b

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NMreefer":3rvnov90 said:
beaslbob. Not the hole is for a kent float valve for water replacement.

Ok understand. It was just a thought.

Now I have another. :D

Sound like a level (float activated) top system.

the problem is that say an overflow plugs or fails. And the system is adjusted to where the sump level drops below the pump intake before the upper container floods. But with the top off extra water is added which may result in a flood.

I think on my system I am going with a drip replacement system instead. But then that does take adjustments.

my .02

NMreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely understood. I've been using this float valve gravity feed system for about 6 years now without fail. I'm sticking to it.

Phillip

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":g9m43z2f said:
I just used the stuff on a project and it is currently YELLOW!
Something doesn't sound right there. I've never seen GE W&D Type I silicone cure a yellow color. I've been using it for quite a few years too...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: