• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Christeon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting in overflows into my 75g and have received enough parts/tools to start tearing stuff up. I had originally planned to have 2 corner overflows sized at 6"x3.5" with 1" bulkheads and dursos in each. Will the dursos give me problems because the two can flow alot more than my 700gph return pump rate or do dursos do fine being oversized. Nothing is drilled or glass set yet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow rate is determined basically by gravity. It is not a fixed amount. That rating is the maximum the overflow is rated at. If your return pump pumps less flow to the tank, the overflows just return less back to the sump.

my.02

Christeon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply,
I wasn't worried much about the overflows themselves but more about the durso standpipes surging/flushing making noise if they are oversized to much. I can make it right now, or have a problem for a long time.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at 1 inch they ARENT oversized. I have a 2 inch overflow duroso in my 65g cube and it works great. The standpipe shouldnt cut down on how much flow through the drain you get, unless it becomes clogged. As far as the flushing .. its easy to fix that. Just drill a hole in the top cap big enough to let enough air in to stop it.

You want as big of a drain as possible. you DONT want drains that are even a LITTLE too small for your return pump, or your display tank will overflow.

B

Christeon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Snowy!
It's 2 seperate 1" inch drains in the back corners. I'll just stop being scared and drill them. Need to get the silicone on it and get the curing started. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: