• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just thought I would share my DIY sump/refuge. I know it is nothing special, but makes me happy to finally finish it! It is a 30 Gallon Sump/Refuge.

diy_sump2.gif

My Design

sump.JPG

Picture of Setup

Rebels23

[ May 20, 2003, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rebel cool sump/refuge. I just have a question, is the water coming into the sump over by the skimmer or the bio balls? New to the whole sump and refuge thing, just trying to get a better understanding.

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol ok wait I looked at the picture again and I see that the water is coming in by the skimmer and then falling into the chamber with the bio balls. Ok, now Question: If the water is coming in the first chamber then through the protein skimmer and then the refuge and the last stage the bio balls and upward into the tank. Shouldnt the skimmer be after the refuge so that the macro in the fuge can get the protein and then the skimmer can pick up and excess?

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Toe'Knee,

Thanks. The water is coming in through the sump chamber first, then to the refuge, and finally to the chamber with the bio-balls/return pump side. I had a wet/dry running, and just took some of the bio-balls from it and threw it in the last chamber. I am planning to take it out soon, just didn't have a place to put some of the bio-balls.

Some people do put the skimmer after their fuge, so the fuge takes up some of the nutrients, but some say to put it before the fuge........i dunno,.....lol, i did it this way because i wanted to remove whatever i could first. By the way, i don't have enough in my fuge for nutrient export anyway. HTH

And also, if I could do it all over again, I would have dropped the last baffle about 3/4" to 1", so I could get better water circulation in my fuge.

Rebels23

[ May 23, 2003, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
My setup looked similar to yours. I used a 30gal AGA aquarium. I think you may run into a problem with micro bubbles in your refugium and in your main tank. You may have to add more baffles---just bend in a sheet of acrylic

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Jackson,

Yea I used a 30G AGA tank also. Funny thing is, no micro bubbles whatsoever. Maybe my my flow is not strong enough? I am using a overflow box that came with my wet/dry rated for a 75 gallon tank.

Rebels23

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: