• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is a simple question, what happens if you try to run a DE bulb of a ballast designed to run a SE bulb? I got a good deal on a 70W elecrtonic ballast for a small frag tank and am looking for bulbs. I have only found one source for SE bulbs and they were more than 250 DE's.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That depends on which bulb and which ballast. More than likely it will not fire the bulb properly. Which bulb were you planning on firing with which ballst?

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
never heard of it being done this way. I have heard of Singles being used with DE ballasts because they are more intense, but never this order. As far as I have heard a SE fired on a DE ballast (depending on bulb-ballast combo) can net some pretty good results since the bulb should be getting more juice. It does shorten the life of the bulb. A DE on an SE ballast might not fire or will not be as intense but I can assure you with almost certainty that it won't be a good thing either way.

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I agree that they will not work interchangably. As a matter of fact I would not even attempt it because who knows what might happen. Not only could you start a fire but you'll void the warranty.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: