• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
is it ok to lay a sheet of eggcrate or cuttingboard/starboard on the bottom before lay sand on top of it? it could prevent rocks hitting glass and cracking it. but are there any ill effects this can have?

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
no, thats wat ur suppose to do :)

however i should suggest not putting sand over it. Unless its a lot of sand. if ur using a SSB, eggcrat will make it harder for the sand 2 do its job,.

if ur using starboard, make sure u silicone around the edges so nothing gets under it. Ask Jhale what happens when you dont. Most ppl dont put sand over starboard, they use it for BB

but thats up 2 u

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
i have starboard, and i know it's for bb. but i like how sand looks. i'm going for ssb but worry about rockslides. why is eggcrate not good for SSB? right now, im going back and forth with SSB and BB decision. thanks dudes

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
if u have starboard, just silicone around it so nothing gets under it , then put sand over it if thats what you want.

ive heard that the eggcreate traps detrious into the lil cubes if u have a SSB, and doesnt allow movement of the bottom layer of the sandbed.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
eggcrate and sand are not a good mix in my opinion. i've never used anything under my rocks. i just make sure the base rocks touch the bottom of the glass. also make 100% that the rocksare as stable as possible and won't fall over. i place them and give them the shake test.

i've been doing this for years in fresh and now in saltwater tanks. no issues so far. :crossing fingers:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: