• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
need some MR expertise.

It's the middle of winter so there's no better time for me to get a chiller. I have been offered a chance to buy the following used chiller:

2 years Old
JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller 1/10HP
Link: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewI...dProduct=JB1111

for $225 shipped.

I have a 46 gallon with 17 gallon sump. Metal halides and a half dozen powerheads.

Is this the chiller for me or should I look for a better deal or better chiller? Or should I jump at this opportunity?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
then it may be cheaper and more energy efficient for you to run an A/C in the room the tank is in and put fans in your canopy. Consider this instead of a chiller. You can even program your aquacontrollers to turn on the A/c and fans when you need it.
I'm big on chillers, I always tell people to get one, but they aren't for everyone.

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I have a condo as well and I'm currently running a 1/2 HP chiller. The apartment gets very warm during the summer but its okay in the winter. I am one of those people that love it and have gotten use to the negative aspects. I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
what are the cons of a chiller?
that his tank is nice and cool, but he's sweating his ba11s off in the summer. Not worth it IMO, when you can run A/C and fans. Also, the hotter the room is that the chiller is in, the less efficient the chiller runs.

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I got a jbj chiller last summer and i still had to run my AC..but in the winter it's not bad at all...what i do is in the summer i rise it to 82 and te winter i set it to 79..this help a lot...

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I'm running a JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller DBA-150 1/5HP. I drilled a hole in the wall and placed the chiller and my ballast in my exercise room. In the summer I have to open the windows and run a fan blowing out to keep the temperature down. Best piece of equipment I have bought for my tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: