• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
anyone on here use a canister filter in a reef tank ? curious to know if i could use one with only live rock rubble and no other filter media. would be great water movement

mavl666

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use one but am told its not effecient. I have been told many different, here are a few:

1) LR rubble in top basket and the rest open. Can put some zeolite, or phosban in another basket.
2) Have heard fill it with LR.
3) Can use bio ball or beads as in #1.
4) Most opinions are dump the cansiter and get a sump.

Let me know what you decide and how it goes. As I havne't made up my mind yet.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
canister filter

well i have ran my african cichlad tank for over a year on my rena, and a marineland bio wheel 300 my water stay's crystal clear with great water movement, so my theory was to get a ehiem pro wet\dry system. have great water movement and a good filtration. maybe i am wrong. just looking to see anyone tried it. was planning to break up so piece's to rubble and use it for media

mavl666

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I can't get hold of a sump to fit my stand, only 8.5" wide, I plan to use some LR rubble and phosphate pads in my cansiter. Its the same as yours. I will then also add a hang-on refugium. Actaully, the owner of Aaquatic Obsessions in Avenel, NJ made these suggestions to me.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
well i have ran my african cichlad tank for over a year on my rena, and a marineland bio wheel 300 my water stay's crystal clear with great water movement, so my theory was to get a ehiem pro wet\dry system. have great water movement and a good filtration. maybe i am wrong. just looking to see anyone tried it. was planning to break up so piece's to rubble and use it for media

canister filters are great for freshwater, i've Never set up a FW tank w/o one. However, saltwater chemistry is more important (imo) these fitlers tend to be nitrite producers b/c a lot of organic material settles into it. As you know, this is something we try to avoid in SW tanks. However- if you were to clean the filter out every 2 weeks or something like water changes, you could reduce the risks, but most ppl dont have the time to do that. My suggestion is a sump, just any size tank that will fit in ur stand to house a skimmer and return pump w/ some rubble, you dont' even really need baffles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: