• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I did all the mods on my G2, if you want to come by I can mod it with you as I still have all the tools for it. You need to pickup a 1 inch uniseal and a 1/2" MPT to 1/2" hose Barb, I recommend the 90 degree one from Lowes or HD.

Uniseals you pretty much can only get online.

Salesbig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I did all the mods on my G2, if you want to come by I can mod it with you as I still have all the tools for it. You need to pickup a 1 inch uniseal and a 1/2" MPT to 1/2" hose Barb, I recommend the 90 degree one from Lowes or HD.

Uniseals you pretty much can only get online.
Thanks.. can you post a few pics of it so i get an idea of what it looks like?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
great links fred.... did u see any really big differences with the mods to the skimmer... was thinking of doing it with mine...

i already have the gate valve mod was thinking of doing the recirc. mod and feed pump mod...

danfish

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great links fred.... did u see any really big differences with the mods to the skimmer... was thinking of doing it with mine...

i already have the gate valve mod was thinking of doing the recirc. mod and feed pump mod...
tony did the gate valve make a big difference ? was thinking of doing it to mine but not sure if it was worth the trouble thx

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
well the gate valve gives you control on your skimmate production... it alot easier to turn a gate valve then lift a tube up and down and deal with cleaning that stupid bubble foam thing. more precision is a plus with any skimmer. i would def. do it if i were you... i think it will cost ya about 19 for the gate valve and 5 bucks for the pvc i would def. do it....

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I agree 100%. I did a ball valve mod at first and then the gate. Much better with the gate (obviously), it's impossible to be that precise with a ball valve. A ball valve ends up being more trouble than its worth but the gate really makes it a better skimmer. Easily worth the $19, he!! it's worth $40 honestly.

The recirc and feed go together, you can't do one without the other. How well they work depends on how efficient your feed is. The Recirc will greatly increase contact time but the feed leaves room for great variation in skimmate production. Suppose your use a small powerhead to feed your skimmer and you place the power head on the bottom of your sump. While that is the WORST thing you could do, it will still draw water from the same place that your skimmer did pre-mod. So your skimmer will draw the water from the same place, in more or less the same amount but with greater contact time. Now if you were to gravity feed your skimmer, you'd be feeding it just the slime from the top of your tank right into your skimmer which of course is the most protein laden water in your system. Now if you add greater contact time to more efficient water collection, you've got a good skimmer.

I'm personally not a fan at all of non recirculating needle wheels, I just don't think they are efficient. It doesn't matter how big a pump you put on them they still don't have access to the tools available. We use overflows to skim the slime off the surface of our tanks. Being that we all have a tool that collects the most protein laden water in our systems, why not use it? Why dump that highly concentrated muck into a vat of water, mix it up and then have a skimmer try and clean it? It doesn't make sense.

danfish

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well the gate valve gives you control on your skimmate production... it alot easier to turn a gate valve then lift a tube up and down and deal with cleaning that stupid bubble foam thing. more precision is a plus with any skimmer. i would def. do it if i were you... i think it will cost ya about 19 for the gate valve and 5 bucks for the pvc i would def. do it....
ok im definitely going with the gate valve mod, but can you tell me if the pvc parts need to be cemented or just certian parts or all or none?
thx in advance

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i just used teflon tape to ensure that it is leak and air proof.. as deanos said dont cement the parts.. this gives you the flexibility to take each part off when needed...

fred thanks a bunch for the advice.. looks like i have to do my homework :biggrin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: