• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ToddinAtl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I seem to be full of questions today as I'm going to get my sump on line tonight. This weekend I was thinking about plumbing in a UV sterilizer, but after jogging my memory on posts I've read here, I came up with this question.

Some threads have down played putting black lights over a display tank for the "moonlight" effect due to the UV radiation. If this is the case, would it not be possible to put a black light over a baffled area of a sump so as to simulate a UV sterilizer? Obviously, I know nothing about UV radiation and I would assume the wavelengths and power output differ so as not to give the same effect, but I thought I'd throw out the question.

UV steralizer pros
kills parasites

UV steralizer cons
indescriminate killer
contact time must be high
$$$$$
more plumbing

Blacklight pros
cheap
kills parasites (?)
put in the sump so as not to affect corals

Blacklight cons
uuuuummm....would it work?

Thanks,
Todd

suckair

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I don't think it would really work as a uv filter. The frequency wavelegnth is quite specific for it to be effective.

UV filters are not a good thing for a reef tank in my opinion. Some stuff you don't want to kill. If you did want one for the purpose of killing small parasites you would need real low flow rates depending on the wattage of the lamp.

A uv lamp would not have much penatration thru the water in a sump so only the stuff on the surface would be affected and only then if the intensity was high enough and the flow slow enough to kill the parasite.

I do have a UV filter but don't use it on my reef system unless I have a parasite emergency. I have only used it once in the past 2 years and the flow rate was 15 gph with a 40w lamp!

Super Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blacklights will not work. They radiate UV-A, which does not have the capability of killing microbes at a wholesale level. They may negatively effect phytoplanktons and some cyanobacteria, but will likely have no effect on viruses and most virulent bacteria. UV-sterlizers use UV-B and UV-C, which can alter cells until they can no longer properly function (therefore, death). These lower wavelength UV are indiscrimate in their lethality.

I agree with suckair. I only use UV sterilization with serious pathogen outbreaks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: