• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Razor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a huge price difference between the Indian and Australian Harlequin Tusks, but what's the difference otherwise?

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indian or is it from the Philippines. The Aussies are the better way to go here, the others are probably caught with poison and won't live very long due to liver damage....maybe?

Razor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the details at they're from the Indian Ocean, not India, therefore it is possible that they are from the Philippines.

It's a shame because we're talking about $40 versus $90. I love that fish but can't imagine spending $90 on it.

I wonder if there is a way to find out if it was net caught or not?

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very hardy and will do fine either from Australia or other Pacific are. Australia Tusk are more colorful thus the higher price. IMO, if you look at two of them side by side, you can tell but otherwise it is hard to tell them apart, as least the young ones. I was told the older they get the more colorful they are and thus more easy to tell one from the other.
Harlequin Tusk is almost imposible to kill. My Tusk (non Australian) eat out of my hand.

Razor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby how can you go wrong with something that is "almost imposible to kill". Thanks for the info.

Can I ask how much you paid for yours and how big it is?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Australian usually has more blue to the striping instead of that silvery-white color. Also as the fish ages, the 'tusks' themselves will tend to develop a more pronounced color (though I have a feeling that's primarily dietary).

This winter when I get my 125 done, I'm probably going to get a juvi tusk from the phillipines and try to raise it on high quality food and see if I can bring out the more australian coloration...see how much of it is dietary and how much hereditary.

-John

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H Tusk will decimate your small snail population. I got lots of snail breeding in my tank. Many young snails are less than 2 mm (thousands in my 400 g tank). My H Tusk is about 5 inches in total lenght rigth now. With in 1 week, there is no small snail can be seen during the day. Less than 100 can be seen at night. If they stay out as the light turn on, the Tusk will eat them.
He loves escago. He just eat every snail that he see that is less than about 4 mm, shells and all. He does not bother any of my corals, fishes shrimps. or clams. I think he will be great in control parasitic snails in a clam tank.

Razor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he won't touch any of your larger snails? What kind of coral do you have in your tank?

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razor":321nqbdo said:
So he won't touch any of your larger snails? What kind of coral do you have in your tank?
The large snails are safe. I have 90+ SPS a few LPS (frog spawns, plate, brain coral, candy cane, anchor coral, Goniopora) and Green star polyps, yellow polyps, zoanthus and Xenia, + a few more that I may over look. I have 15 Clams in my tank also.

Razor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. My only reluctance in getting the H Tusk, other than the price, was the fear of it killing my coral, but it seems to be fine. Now I just have to find a reliable retailer that won't kill me on the price of the fish.

texman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also considered a tusk for my tank but am concerned about it damaging clams and corals. Small snails don't concern me since they seem to be reproducing in my refugium and seeding my main tank. Has anyone had experience with tusks and small clams? Anyone had any bad experiences with tusks in their reef tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: