• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I emptied out my old tank of sand today and I sat there looking at the bucket of sand and got to thinking. What if I put 2 bulkheads in the bucket and ran water over the sand. Wouldn't that do the same as having a DSB as far as nitrates go? Put both bulkheads maybe 5 inches down the bucket and just run water accross the sand at a slow rate? Anyone have any thoughts about that? Good idea or disaster waiting to happen?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Thales has a system similar to this. Maybe if you keep this bumped he will catch it on one of his rare visits.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since when did Rich become a rare visitor? 8)

I think it can work if your flow is super low to the point of being anoxic. I'm not sure how to fine tune it though.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do this as remote DSBs. I've heard it works pretty well. It's gotta be slow enough to not kick up sand but fast enough so detritus doesn't settle. Someone that does it will chime in, I'm sure. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I was thinking I was being innovative and low and behold everyone has this idea. Dang. Tough crowd. I guess this will bump it up for someone with experience with one of MY IDEAS!!!!!! :lol: :P

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a good idea but when you think about it its really not much different than a fuge.... or a DSB in a fuge....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: