• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what it says. I have a carpicoris, and did not pick up any glue. My powerhead moves it when it sweeps by. Will the rubber band do the trick without damage? How long will it take to hold on its own, a couple weeks??

Thanks guys

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use a rubberband myself, that's not to say it won't work. Really should use glue, don't be afraid to glop the crap out of it, turn your powerheads off when you mount it. After you glue it submerge and squish against the area you want and hold it there for a good 30 seconds until it grabs hold, wait 15 minutes or so before you turn your powerheads on just ot make sure it holds, and give it a gentle nudge with a finger just to be sure at the end, if it doesn't work try to put some glue on the glue and try again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rubberband will last a week or so in saltwater depending on how thick it is. That may or may not be enough time.

IMO there is too much tissue damage that way. Find some superglue and glue it down.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular old super glue.

I prefer super Glue Gel from Duro.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use GEL superglue. Try to dry off our plug, then wipe the surface of your coral as dry as possible in a few secs,

Add the glue to both the mount and the coral and put it into place. Hold it out of the water for around 30secs or so.. then you should be able to stick it in your tank.

It wouldn't hurt to hold it in place with a rubber band after you glue it.

B.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, use GEL superglue, and doing be a wuss about applying it, use half a tube or more!

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I will need to pick some up tomorrow. The glue itself does not impact the tank in any way, or the coral?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gel for sure. And yeah, use a mans portion when applying.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to bring the rock you're gluing the frag out of the water. Just make sure you got a considerable amount, like everyone has said, and submerge it and hold it in place. It'll encrust after a couple of weeks. (Well, it should... :wink: )

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an aside, I had a fairly large colony of millepora that I wanted to attach to a very large tonga branch in mid tank. There were not enough surfaces available to allow glue to work and milleporas will slime out of any glue applied to living tissue. So I tied it on with fish line. It was a bit ugly... until the mille grew over the line... and down it. And now you can't see it :)

Not sure what your mileage would be with a monti-cap, but since I got caps coming out my ears, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works.

I hate super glue for many frag jobs and there are a few corals that are just a pita to use it with, so I have been experimenting with non-permanent methods, like rubber-bands and fishing line.

I am having pretty good luck getting seriatopora histrix (pink birdsnest) to attach using rubber-bands. That stuff hates glue and RTNs up to an inch away from the attach point if you use super-glue. I've ruined a dozen frags that way.

kennyfish

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a benifit to using the epoxy resin stuff on hard corals. The stuff that sort of looks like playdough ?

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kennyfish":jdrihdri said:
Is there a benifit to using the epoxy resin stuff on hard corals. The stuff that sort of looks like playdough ?

I ended up buying that stuff. I bought because I thought I would use it for some LR in the future. I can let you know further down the road if there are any draw backs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kennyfish":n5eltnvv said:

It's good for big stuff like Frogspawn, Acan, or Hammer colonies. It can fuse two rocks together too.

The skimmer will go nuts for a few hours so watch for overflows but other than that I haven't had any bad experiences. I've heard of Xenia wilting for a few days but my Xenia hasn't ever.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: