• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on purchasing 30-40lbs of live rock for my "fresh" 40 gallon tank in the next week or so. I'm torn between curing it in the tank and curing it in a separate tub in the garage. My main concern - check that - my girlfriends main concern is the smell. From my previous setup I remember a very fruity aroma that penetrated EVERYTHING for ~2 weeks. So, I tend to be leaning toward the separate tub in the garage.

If I did go the way of the separate tub is a 40 gallon rubbermaid big enough? Do you guys scrub the rocks - or is that a personal choice type of thing? Also, lights or no lights?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use light, lots of waterflow, heaters, many, many water changes, scrub off dead spots and rip off all sponges.

A 40 gallon rubbermaid should work fine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing it now. I have a 55 set up outside and I keep it about 70 degrees. You do NOT want that smell in your house.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fruity smell? Where the heck do you get your fruit? I can think of alot of words to describe curing LR and not one of them is fruity lol. Thanks though I had beer shoot out the nose on that one. Made my evening.

8O :lol: 8O

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. That was pretty much my feeling too. Out of the house. So, do you run a skimmer on the rubbermaid in the garage? Premium aquatics recommeds this. Also, do you use lights to speed up the process?

Ranger - Comedy. It smells so bad....I just couldn't think of anything else to describe it. :lol:

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cured my rock in my tank. i didn't smell anything. only when i yanked a hunk of it out and put my nose to it. :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: