• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

FB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just purchased a small pulsing xenia.

I have heard many people complain about this stuff taking over your tank (I have a 30 Gal). That's not something I really want to happen.

From what I've read it is best to place it higher in the tank so that it can only grow up a limited amount of rock. Can it grow down the rock?

I have several small pieces of rock. If I attach it to a small piece of rock and place the rock on the substrate will the xenia spread over the substrate. Is there any other way for this to spread other than growth. ie spawning. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For it to spread, is usally has to be able to grow onto another bit of rock or substrate. It won't spawn in your tank and reproduce that way.

If you have a ton of it, and it is really growing like crazy, sometimes it can twist off an arm that will foat around and settle out somewhere, but they usually only do that when they do not have any room to spread out.

If your xenia is growing well and begining to spread, just rip some out and throw it away. It's not too hard to keep under control if you just stay ahead of it.

Should you let it grow out onto small rock rubble, you can then take the xenia on little rocks back to the fish store for trades. That is a good way to keep it in check.

kdluhy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia's love light. If your tank has MH, i'm sure they will explode. I have very strong lighting and the xenias eventually grew up the back wall and almost covered the glass. If you place them near the top the stalks get thicker. Low placement sometimes results in longer stems. I have also noticed higher placement make them pulse more. These are just observations!

FB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 250W 10K MH. + 1 60 Watt Atinic.

This is exactly what I don't want. I guess I will just have to make sure I keep ahead of it.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always a toilet you can flush it down. But people usually have success with Xenia for a short while, then it disappeared or die back. I suggest you wait and see how well it goes.

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can grow like a weed, up, down across over everywhere, but not something that happens over night.

It you trim it back (say with scissors) be aware it can grow back from just a little of what was left behind on a rock.

And don't flush it, just give it away.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: