• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

the-elliotts

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed since I've moved and set up my tank that I have 2 black spongey things that aregrowing on my rock and getting bigger. Are they good or bad?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are almost certainly harmless, although without a photo it is hard to say what you have there.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry either. If it's growing, it's alive. Living sponges are harmless. Dying ones (which often turn black) can foul the water a little bit and raise some serious stink if removed from the water :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":v53jd5d2 said:
Living sponges are harmless.

Not always true. Mind you, for the purposes of our tanks, 99.99% of the time it's true.

But some sponges can do some really, really nasty things with toxins. I remember reading a report about 8 or 9 years ago about a group of researchers who had a large sponge (several feet in diameter) in a tub tank of barely larger dimensions than the sponge itself. Over the next few weeks of working with it several of the researchers developed a condition similiar to aphasia - simply from physical contact.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":2jxm9ici said:
Len":2jxm9ici said:
Living sponges are harmless.

Not always true. Mind you, for the purposes of our tanks, 99.99% of the time it's true.

But some sponges can do some really, really nasty things with toxins. I remember reading a report about 8 or 9 years ago about a group of researchers who had a large sponge (several feet in diameter) in a tub tank of barely larger dimensions than the sponge itself. Over the next few weeks of working with it several of the researchers developed a condition similiar to aphasia - simply from physical contact.

Not to mention sponges of the Family: Clionidae, Genus: Cliona that bore in to rocks, clams, corals, etc. causing severe damage or death.
There are also species of encrusting sponges that can overgrow corals.

Regards,
David Mohr

the-elliotts

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a so-so pic. It's about an inch long by 3/8ths of an inch wide about the same thickness as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,563
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to tell from that picture (it's hard to ID sponges down to genus and species from pictures) but it appears it could be a species of Chondrilla (an encrusting sponge). I wouldn't worry since you have no corals in the tank. Keep an eye on it and if it starts to grow large simply remove it.

Regards,
David Mohr

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at lfs a few years ago, and we started getting live rock with jet black sponges growing on it, they gave me one hell of a rash, another employee only had a minor irritation, and the owner had no noticable effect at all, the owners son however had a severe allergic reaction, just by handling the rocks enough, from holding tank to a box that we had to call an ambulance and have him rushed to the er

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at lfs a few years ago, and we started getting live rock with jet black sponges growing on it, they gave me one hell of a rash, another employee only had a minor irritation, and the owner had no noticable effect at all, the owners son however had a severe allergic reaction, just by handling the rocks enough, from holding tank to a box that we had to call an ambulance and have him rushed to the er

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: