• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ty_GBR

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 55g tank up and running with cured live rock, fish and corals (zoos, frogspawn, GSP, and xenia). So I started it with crushed coral substrate, but now I want to switch to sand. If I do this will the cycling of the sand shock my livestock?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ty, and :welcome:

If I do this will the cycling of the sand shock my livestock?

Adding sand may make your tank a little milky looking for a few days. You could try adding a little bit at a time and see how it goes.

How long has the crushed coral been in your tank? If it's been in there for a long time, you might unleash some nasties when you remove it.

Louey

Ty_GBR

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a quarter studying marine biology in Australia and studied the symbiotic relationship between gobies and pistol shrimp (the whole trip was the main motivation for starting the tank) but I didn't realize that you could buy the pair when I started it. I want to give it a try, but I figured I def need a sand bed to do it. I'm also considering getting one of the fairy wrasses and I know some species prefer sand.

-Ty

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: