• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kevindub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Is the orange/red rust color iron or copper or something else? More importantly, is it reef safe? This steel was suppose to be stainless steel. It's not underwater but I'm afraid some of the rust will get into the water at some point.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is comparatively safer than copper, but it is somewhat toxic. Copper oxidizes to a green color; iron oxide looks rust-colored.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there is no such thing called stainless steel, as some of us find out every now and then.

The main issue is not the iron, but various metals used in the stainly steel, such as chromium, nickel, and others. I would just not use the same type of stainly steel, and put a carbon or something to get the peace of mind for now.

kevindub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Where would I find carbon screws? I use screws inside my cabinet to mount stuff and it seems like the screws get rusted over time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant activated carbon, as filter media.

As for the screws, as long as it is not in direct contact with the saltwater, most stainless steel screw can last for years.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: