• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'm curing ca. 100 lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon tank before moving it into my new 100 gallon tank.

Currently most of the ammonia has been processed to nitrite (which is off the scale) and some nitrate is being produced.

Since the ammonia has been consumed, I assume the nitrosomanas have become re-established, and since some of the nitrite in the water has turned over to nitrate, the nitrobacter are growing as well.

Since the rock is going to be moved anyway, should I move it now, or wait until all the nitrite is processed? I assume I will have a little bit of an ammonia spike when I move stuff, as it will be briefly exposed to air. However, if I can assume the nitrite has reached steady-state or is being depleted, I would think moving the rock would be equivalent to a 100% water change.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't think it will matter much if you move it now or a little later. The rock is likely safe for relocation now. The die off process is probably over, which is really the key point of curing it in a separate container (not so much the fostering of bacterial populations).

paneubert

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would actually be surprised if you even see a second ammonia spike due to the air exposure. I have re-arranged my rock work what seems like a million times, each time exposing the rock to air for about 10 minutes. Never saw any ammonia or any die off from it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) I'd move it now, am with Len and his thinking that the worst of the ammonia producing die off is done at this point. But that's me ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with lawdawg and "he whose tank shall remain faceless"

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranger":n6c8ztll said:
Agree with lawdawg and "he whose tank shall remain faceless"

:lol: you owe me one half cup of coffee and a roll of paper towel!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: